Steam Beta Improves Its Vulkan Pre-Caching System, PipeWire Capture Now Opt-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

So, hours after posting this, I got both a Steam Beta and SoR4 updates. Something changed, because the Steam UI bug was fixed.

The power of nagging in the Phoronix Phorums.
    /s
    Ha!

Hey, if that wasn't a crazy coincidence, awesome work to you and whoever fixed that bug!

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Ha!

Hey, if that wasn't a crazy coincidence, awesome work to you and whoever fixed that bug!
      I believe is just a coincidence, fueled by the near launch of the Steam Deck. I'm under the impression it opened a fire under ass of the Linux team at Valve. Looks like they are working more of this stuff recently.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

It asks for permission to screen share when opening Steam -- caught me off guard as suspicious. I'm sure there will be a workaround to avoid that, eventually.
        Its as fishy as big food business putting strange ingredients in simple foods.

Stop purchasing games from Steam near as much and use GOG more, just my recommendation.

When steam first came about I despised the idea of not owning a physical copy of a game. Say what you want about the environment, stuff can still be recycled. I still use steam 'bought tons of games over time', my only regret is that it requires online activation too often if you just want to game and not be connected to internet garbage constantly and it is garbage for the most part.

Ok, rant over.
        Last edited by creative; 01 October 2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

GOG has been doing some dumb things recently. Like leaving the always online DRM for Hitman 2016 and pushing Galaxy more and more (at least have a Linux client for it sheesh). I still prefer to buy my games in GOG, but one has to be more careful with their library.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
            GOG has been doing some dumb things recently. Like leaving the always online DRM for Hitman 2016 and pushing Galaxy more and more (at least have a Linux client for it sheesh). I still prefer to buy my games in GOG, but one has to be more careful with their library.
            I can only speak from luck recently with my first GOG purchase. F.E.A.R. Platinum, just double clicked desktop icons and all of it just runs with wine. I think the main thing about GOG is the general assumption that if you are buying from there you will most likely just be using wine, playonlinux, or lutris. I don't mind having a bunch of separate stuffs to run games, obviously wine is going to be the core at the center of those stuffs.

That sucks about Hitman 2016.

I do praise steam though, proton is awesome, my only gripe is that if steam activates for offline mode it needs to stay active for that account indefinitely unless your account gets stolen. Obviously same thing with games that require activation separate of steam like some of the Bethesda stuff but that's an issue separate from steam.
            Last edited by creative; 01 October 2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Anyone who can provide useful advise for steam to run well in arch linux maybe? AMD drivers to install, settings in kernel, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

Its as fishy as big food business putting strange ingredients in simple foods.

Stop purchasing games from Steam near as much and use GOG more, just my recommendation.

When steam first came about I despised the idea of not owning a physical copy of a game. Say what you want about the environment, stuff can still be recycled. I still use steam 'bought tons of games over time', my only regret is that it requires online activation too often if you just want to game and not be connected to internet garbage constantly and it is garbage for the most part.

Ok, rant over.
                You're reading far too much into my simple statement. Go get some therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

You're reading far too much into my simple statement. Go get some therapy.
                  Thanks for projecting.

Hey and I also don't like pipewire, can you deal with that?
                  Last edited by creative; 06 October 2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X