Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 6.3-5 RC Allows More Windows Games To Run On Linux

Phoronix: Proton 6.3-5 RC Allows More Windows Games To Run On Linux

Just in time for the weekend Linux gamers is a new release candidate of the upcoming Proton 6.3-5 that powers Valve's Steam Play for running Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish they said more about what they did to get the games to work, because if it's fixing libraries or bugs at the wine level then that could imply more fixes for a wider range of things. It otherwise seems kinda weird these are the games they're prioritizing.

Comment

Valve is gaming company, it is obvious they prioritize games Anyways Proton stuff is opensource and you can search issues or commits for fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I wish they said more about what they did to get the games to work, because if it's fixing libraries or bugs at the wine level then that could imply more fixes for a wider range of things. It otherwise seems kinda weird these are the games they're prioritizing.
        They might not have prioritized all those games or even any. Could just be a result of something they felt the need to do.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
          Valve is gaming company, it is obvious they prioritize games Anyways Proton stuff is opensource and you can search issues or commits for fixes.
          Does their development make it into upstream Wine? Or do they work directly on the main Wine project and Proton is just the interface between Steam and Wine? Sorry if this is a dumb question, as I'm not a gamer. But I am very much interested in Wine, as I've depended on it for almost 20 years, it's really what make it possible for me to use Linux full time.

Comment

DXGI mean laptops with dgpus still require both DRI_PRIME=1 and DXVK_FILTER_DEVICE_NAME= set to reliably use them?

Comment

Most of these games improved either because of WMF (Windows Media Foundation - think very convoluted way of video playback) work or because of VKD3D-Proton (Direct3D 12 to Vulkan translation) refinement.

BTW, whatever happened to upstream WINE's very arrogant hubris of DXVK being a "dead end"?
              Has there been any progress since on their Vulkan initiative named after a mountain in Iran (Mount Damavand)?

Comment

Originally posted by sb56637 View Post

Does their development make it into upstream Wine? Or do they work directly on the main Wine project and Proton is just the interface between Steam and Wine? Sorry if this is a dumb question, as I'm not a gamer. But I am very much interested in Wine, as I've depended on it for almost 20 years, it's really what make it possible for me to use Linux full time.
                It's basically a patchset on top of Wine, sorta like Wine-Staging but with even more patches (and mostly gaming-focused patches). AFAIK a lot gets upstreamed, but there's also a lot of stuff deemed too hackish for mainline wine.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

It's basically a patchset on top of Wine, sorta like Wine-Staging but with even more patches (and mostly gaming-focused patches). AFAIK a lot gets upstreamed, but there's also a lot of stuff deemed too hackish for mainline wine.
                  Makes sense, thanks a lot for the explanation.

Comment

The problem is that usually the devs themselves don't know, aka this whole thing works like the WINE devs keeps on hacking on fixing things that they knew don't work which sometimes is working on specific game problems, then once they have a new RC lots of people test the games that they used to have problems with and if they notice that the game now works it gets tagged as a "bugfix" even though in some cases the actual fix could have happened a few releases back, just that no one tested that particular game before.

Comment

Working...
                    X