Steam on Linux Gaming Marketshare Steady For April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

Which is exactly why I was curious what would numbers look like if there was a separate chart of usage under VM. I didn't say reporting is incorrect.
    The same, the number of users who can setup this and would use it for games would be insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      I really wonder how Steam decides which user to ask for the survey.
      There was a time where I got it regularly, then I haven't got asked for it for about a year and now today I was asked again.
      I haven't had one in years…

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

This is inaccessible for most of inexperienced users out there and requires two GPUs. And then you're actually running Steam under Windows, not Linux, so its reporting is 100% correct.
        VFIO gaming is incredibly easy to get into, and had large incentive before anti-cheat started blocking vfio users. Also it does not need two GPUs, though it is convenient. not an insignificant amount of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

VFIO gaming is incredibly easy to get into, and had large incentive before anti-cheat started blocking vfio users. Also it does not need two GPUs, though it is convenient. not an insignificant amount of people.
          Linux is already not easy to get into considering the sheer amount of distos, DEs, ways to setup GRUB, the need to use 3d party repos and console, etc. etc. etc. and you're talking about VFIO gaming which I'm now hearing about for the first time in my life? Woah, you need to slow down as you're overestimating the mental abilities of 99.9% of people out there.

Why would people expose themselves to this madness which in the end gives them ... Windows which works great on raw hardware? What's the poing of having Linux installed in the first place and then do a mental gymnastics trying to juggle around your free space? And then you have to deal with compatibility issues which still arise from using a VM, not to mention a performance loss and a significant lag increase.

What you're talking about is the definition of nerdiness or insanity - it's up to you to decide.
          Last edited by birdie; 02 May 2021, 02:13 PM.

Comment

lol....
            Last edited by Hash; 02 May 2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hash View Post
              People still believe that a free OS will get high marketshare ( ☞͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°) ☞
              Linux on the desktop can become hugely successful and overtake Mac OS but almost no one in the Linux community is working towards that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Linux on the desktop can become hugely successful and overtake Mac OS but almost no one in the Linux community is working towards that goal.
                The same site has things to say about Windows 10 too:

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

The same site has things to say about Windows 10 too:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
                  It can say what it wants. Windows is on over 1.3 BILLION devices. The only way Linux does this is from Android. Not many really want Linux desktop. https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share

A few angry Linux users can go kick cans around.

Comment

Shameless plug of the GOL page for data over time: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/steam-tracker/

Comment

A few changes I would like to see in the Steam Survey:

- Introduce "Other" CPU manufacturer for ARM
                      - Add an "AMD CPU Speeds" metric or change the "Intel CPU Speeds" metric to be vendor-neutral (it's not like Intel has a monopoly)
                      - Change "Physical CPUs" by "Number of cores/threads" (one core != one CPU)
                      - Fix the "Microphones" metric (detect whether a microphone is connected and enabled instead of detecting whether there is a microphone jack)
                      - Fix the "Total Hard Drive Space" metric. It doesn't track 2TB/4TB drives but the other metric does?!
                      - Absolutely fix the "Network Speed" metric. We are on the gigabit era (plus the metric does not detect this appropriately).
                      - Remove unnecessary metrics in "Other Settings" (like SSE2/SSE3).

Comment

Working...
                      X