Flax Engine 1.1 Released For This Impressive Open-Source 3D Game Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flax Engine 1.1 Released For This Impressive Open-Source 3D Game Engine

Phoronix: Flax Engine 1.1 Released For This Impressive Open-Source 3D Game Engine

While Godot receives much of the - well deserved - attention when it comes to open-source, cross-platform game engines, another deserving contender is the Flax Engine that just reached v1.0 last year after going public in 2018...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not open source, it's source available

Comment

Originally posted by d3coder View Post
      The source is open to the public, the development (what happens on github, anyway) is open to the public, and if you submit a patch, I'll assume the developers are also open to accept it. The one thing this open project isn't, is free (libre) software.

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
        The source is open to the public, the development (what happens on github, anyway) is open to the public, and if you submit a patch, I'll assume the developers are also open to accept it. The one thing this open project isn't, is free (libre) software.
        You can read definition of Open Source here
        Introduction Open source doesn’t just mean access to the source code. The distribution terms of open source software must comply with the following criteria: 1. Free Redistribution The licens…

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
          Read their EULA. They can relicense their code as closed source and you only have a 30 day warning. That's why GPL and LGPL are forbidden to be used outside of LGPL linking. There are also closed source components for things like PS4 support that aren't released publicly. You also agree to give up company logos, game assets, etc for them to use to promote the engine.

This is "Open Source*", not Open Source.

If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, do not click on the "I Agree" button and do not download or use the Application.
          I suppose that, technically speaking, we could git clone their repo to get around their EULA. Due to them being inconsistent with commas in the EULA I'm gonna read that as all one function. Other sections of their EULA have every single action itemized with commas and up there they have the clicking of the button tied to all the rest of it. If you get the software by other means then that's on them for having a poorly worded out EULA.

Comment

The fact that it's not using your favourite license does not mean it's become proprietary or it's distributed as binaries.

God, some radical open source fanatics are just that, radical fanatics.

Comment

You can read definition of Open Source here
              https://opensource.org/osd
              I have a nice cozy website https://common-sense-and-english-language-101.org where "open source" means just that: software for which the source code is available. Amazing! Now, let's argue which one of these websites is more relevant.

Comment

Lastly many people consider GPL, specially its third version, to be not "free". It's Open Source, but it's not free. Amazing!

https://dev.to/matteojoliveau/gnu-pu...ver-use-it-3fk
                https://noordering.wordpress.com/200...l-is-not-free/

Lastly .... drums ... https://opensource.com/article/17/2/decline-gpl

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The fact that it's not using your favourite license does not mean it's become proprietary or it's distributed as binaries.

But in the actual case of Flax, the EULA is proprietary.

To paraphrase: No public forks without permission (or any other redistribution of source format), a scheduale of royalties, an class action waiver, and IP assignment to flax of all "feedback"

Comment

Originally posted by birdie

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    I have a nice cozy website https://common-sense-and-english-language-101.org where "open source" means just that: software for which the source code is available. Amazing! Now, let's argue which one of these websites is more relevant.
                    Originally posted by birdie
                    Lastly many people consider GPL, specially its third version, to be not "free". It's Open Source, but it's not free. Amazing!
                    Good heavens you're a moron. Can someone ban this fool again, ASAP...?

Comment

Working...
                    X