0 A.D. Real -Time Strategy Game Sees First Release In Nearly Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

Honest question, how can you keep doing that? I mean a lot for me to see my code being useful, I have hard time understanding other developers who just don't care about the goal of their daily job. Especially now with teleworking it's so easy to pick a better job...
    To be clear, I think most software is junk. I can find a dozen similar jobs to the one I have now, but in my mind I would be switching from building Useless Thing 1 to building Useless Thing 2.

The things that I think matter: software that preserves user privacy, software that helps medical research and energy efficiency, software that assists education for all (so free services like Khan Academy, not expensive ones), accessibility software, software that fights planned obsolescence by letting users get more value out of older and weaker devices. There are few jobs in those areas compared to the rest of the industry and they tend not to pay well.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

To be clear, I think most software is junk. I can find a dozen similar jobs to the one I have now, but in my mind I would be switching from building Useless Thing 1 to building Useless Thing 2.

The things that I think matter: software that preserves user privacy, software that helps medical research and energy efficiency, software that assists education for all (so free services like Khan Academy, not expensive ones), accessibility software, software that fights planned obsolescence by letting users get more value out of older and weaker devices. There are few jobs in those areas compared to the rest of the industry and they tend not to pay well.
      It's harder to find good jobs in those fields for sure, but as developers we're lucky, everyone needs us so you'll always find a way. It will probably pay less, but I don't see any other way to go, as I wouldn't be able to be motivated otherwise. Personally, I worked for a carpooling company for 7 years and now I'm at the CERN in Geneva, so I'm very happy I hope you will find some fulfillment job too.

Comment

Originally posted by monkeynut View Post
        Have they given it proper multicore support yet? It will it still chug on a single core on an Intel 11900k?
        Intel should sponsor this game for sticking to singlecore only.

Comment

Working...
        X