So is Steam coming to Linux or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is Steam coming to Linux or not?

I heard that Steam is now not coming to Linux. I can not find anything that says that it is not however. Does anyone here know what is happening with the Linux Steam engine?

Originally posted by Thaidog View Post
    I heard that Steam is now not coming to Linux. I can not find anything that says that it is not however. Does anyone here know what is happening with the Linux Steam engine?
    I'm afraid that was a product of overzealous wishful thinking. It's been pretty much proven that all the files in question were related to the server side of things and not a client.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure deanjo. Valve isn't stupid, and they are out to make a profit. Many their independent developers are already selling Linux versions of games available on the Steam network, and there is pressure from that development side to get a Linux client out the door to simplify distribution costs.

Valve seems to understand the basic market concept that the more people you have to sell to, the more people are going to buy your product. Okay, lets say that the Linux market is only 30million desktops...

by comparison the Wii, which is the best selling console, only just passed the 50million graphics chip mark, although the actual number of units in use is probably less than half the chips shipped.

The Xbox 360, once you account for the massive amounts of failed units, has a user penetration about equal to, or less, than the Playstation's ~17million penetration.

A successful game on a console, one that is considered to have gone platinum, only has to sell one million units. Most average games tend to have sales in the 200,000 - 500,000 mark. That's 1 in every 17 or so console gamers have to pick up a game for it to be considered a good success.

To get the same sales on Linux, even using the worst base number, Valve only has to sell to 1 in 30 users to reach the magical platinum mark.

If you use the more widely accepted 50million+ numbers, the ratios are even more favorable to producing successful games.

Again, Valve ain't stupid. Crazy? yes. Insane? yes. Stupid? No.

The potential Linux market, if they can tap it right, is too large to pass up. Steam will be coming to Linux. When? That's anybody's guess.
      Last edited by Saist; 12 March 2009, 07:58 PM. Reason: gah, corrected gramar and spall cheuqe

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
        I wouldn't be so sure deanjo. Valve isn't stupid, and they are out to make a profit. Many their independent developers are already selling Linux versions of games available on the Steam network, and there is pressure from that development side to get a Linux client out the door to simplify distribution costs.

Valve seems to understand the basic market concept that the more people you have to sell to, the more people are going to buy your product. Okay, lets say that the Linux market is only 30million desktops...

by comparison the Wii, which is the best selling console, only just passed the 50million graphics chip mark, although the actual number of units in use is probably less than half the chips shipped.

The Xbox 360, once you account for the massive amounts of failed units, has a user penetration about equal to, or less, than the Playstation's ~17million penetration.

A successful game on a console, one that is considered to have gone platinum, only has to sell one million units. Most average games tend to have sales in the 200,000 - 500,000 mark. That's 1 in every 17 or so console gamers have to pick up a game for it to be considered a good success.

To get the same sales on Linux, even using the worst base number, Valve only has to sell to 1 in 30 users to reach the magical platinum mark.

If you use the more widely accepted 50million+ numbers, the ratios are even more favorable to producing successful games.

Again, Valve ain't stupid. Crazy? yes. Insane? yes. Stupid? No.

The potential Linux market, if they can tap it right, is too large to pass up. Steam will be coming to Linux. When? That's anybody's guess.
        You can manipulate numbers however you want it's all 100% pure speculation. Comparing to a console sorry just does not fly. Trying to use numbers from a dedicated system and then using that to compare the numbers on a general purpose platform has no direct correlation at all. What game publishers do see however is other attempts trying and failing such as the most recent victim Eve Online. Your right Valve is not stupid, that's why they won't bother with a linux steam client.

Comment

Well whatever their position I think they should let the community know... especially with all the news that they are indeed coming posted by legitimate IT news sites... if they are not going to release it they should make a public statement on the subject.

Comment

Well whatever their position I think they should let the community know... especially with all the news that they are indeed coming posted by legitimate IT news sites... if they are not going to release it they should make a public statement on the subject.
            Other then articles linking tp phoronix, where else have you even seen this mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Other then articles linking tp phoronix, where else have you even seen this mentioned?
              It all over Valve forums and Tom's Hardware.

"Valve is looking into ways to expand its Steam engine beyond the 15 million users it already has: The company said wants to hire a senior software engineer that would serve as "lead engineer and architect on product integration into the highly available digital distribution platform software developed by Valve".

Translated into plain English, we are talking about a guy that would port Windows-based games to the Linux and possibly Mac OS X platform: Steam is coming to Linux and Source games are first in line."

Just google: valve steam engine linux

Comment

It all over Valve forums and Tom's Hardware.

"Valve is looking into ways to expand its Steam engine beyond the 15 million users it already has: The company said wants to hire a senior software engineer that would serve as "lead engineer and architect on product integration into the highly available digital distribution platform software developed by Valve".

Translated into plain English, we are talking about a guy that would port Windows-based games to the Linux and possibly Mac OS X platform: Steam is coming to Linux and Source games are first in line."

Just google: valve steam engine linux
                Did you bother checking the link in the articles? It links right back to Phoronix. Those articles link right back.

Here is the EXACT job description, which by the way has yet to be filled:

Senior Software Engineer

Description
                Lead engineer and architect on product integration into the highly available digital distribution platform called "Steam". Utilize business/commerce background and engineering skills to drive next generation features for software developed by Valve.

Responsibilities
                Develop an understanding of Valve's Internet business and player community and contribute creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products
                Manage the operation of large clusters of machines running both Windows and Linux in a highly available system.
                Utilize knowledge of networking technologies and their appropriate use in large scale digital distribution systems and gaming platforms.
                Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.
                Test, document, and maintain large scale networking installations and their assorted protocols
                oversee and implement quality assurance of applications in house and third party games distributed on Steam™

Required Qualifications

Bachelor in Systems Engineering (or equivalent).
                Requires two years of experience in systems engineering designing and developing communications software and hardware solutions including resolving problems surrounding real-time and non real time PC- based systems using C++ and network programming algorithms and their interaction with physical devices.
                That description screams of a delivery system on the server side (see the reference to the large scale networking and large clusters which has nothing to do with a steam client). The "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." also indicates the porting of the game server not the client. Had it been porting of a client you would have seen requirements of knowledge in openGL, SDL, openAL, etc etc. The qualifications are all on the networking side.
                Last edited by deanjo; 12 March 2009, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Yawn. I'm done googling this and reading forum posts. I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Did you bother checking the link in the articles? It links right back to Phoronix. Those articles link right back.

Here is the EXACT job description, which by the way has yet to be filled:

That description screams of a delivery system on the server side (see the reference to the large scale networking and large clusters which has nothing to do with a steam client). The "Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform." also indicates the porting of the game server not the client. Had it been porting of a client you would have seen requirements of knowledge in openGL, SDL, openAL, etc etc. The qualifications are all on the networking side.
                    Well that is a little bit strange how they put that... no wonder everybody thinks it going to happen. I'm going to call Valve and find out what I can tomorrow. I'm working on a gaming platform for Linux and I need to know what they are really saying.

Comment

Working...
                    X