Valve Is Working On Another Extension To Help In Direct3D-Over-Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
    I don't understand.. why do they keep those thing secret/private? There's so much secrecy with those extensions development happening behing closed doors. Why aren't them published in a github repo, in form of a PR even since the inception, so that anyone can participate if they want to?
    You'll only get in their way for a while. Very few people will do what they do as fast as they do. These guy's know their thing. Could it be? lol.

Plus, they appear to work for Valve, always doing Valve things. Would you want random people helping you with your job, getting in your way? Would the business you work for like that? No.

Eventually they can to an extent.
    Last edited by ix900; 10 November 2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Valve need to invest allot more time into getting BattlEye/EasyAntiCheat type services working via proton because its becoming a MAJOR road block for allot of would-be Linux gamers/users.
      I am still waiting for games with CEG (Custom Executable Generation) to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
        Plus, they appear to work for Valve, always doing Valve things.
        What then is the sacred meaning of Open Source?

So, when AMD develops the AMDVLK driver at home, they are suckers and "we want open development".

When Valve develop something - well, it's their people and their work. Some hypocrisy.. I 've had a lot on my mind.

Comment

I don't understand.. why do they keep those thing secret/private?
          because they work only on one driver, it's first step on the road to standardization

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Valve need to invest allot more time into getting BattlEye/EasyAntiCheat type services working via proton because its becoming a MAJOR road block for allot of would-be Linux gamers/users.

There are experimental wine builds that have got these anti-cheats to work in SOME games, but you almost hear nothing about it and certainly nothing appears to be mainline code wise.
            This is honestly just total bullshit and ignorance.

First of all, currently it works in zero games, because the work had to be stopped so the main dev (who works for Codeweavers, not Valve) had to go back and finish upstreaming the Media Foundation work before he could pick up EAC again. Because, y'know, he has a job. And after that's done, he will start back on EAC.

Second of all, it wasn't "some games," it was all of them. It wasn't a workaround, EAC actually was working, and it worked in every game tested. The only games that didn't work were games that didn't work for *other* reasons unrelated to EAC.

BattlEye has not been worked on recently as far as anything public is concerned, and likely won't be what with how hostile BE is over trying to play BE games on anything but a Windows bare metal installation.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I disagree with that. If we don't act entitled, raise issues, talk about what we want, or keep acting like we're content with the status quo, why should they care about doing more than the bare minimum? I see us staying narrow-minded and with less perspectives if we don't speak up and act entitled. How are they supposed to know we care if we're quite? If you care about something then you're passionate about it, vocal about it, you request changes, want features added, that gun nerfed, that wizard buffed, the stats fixed on that sword, the anti-cheat to play with friends.

Look at Windows; enough people complain and request feature X, they'll eventually get it. On Linux it seems like every time we try to have a discussion about features we'd like to see we get the usual replies of "Be happy you even have it" and "It's open source, do it yourself"; like we're supposed to know 3d modeling, random languages, and the science between flight modeling and atmospheric simulations when all we'd like is to fly F35s through some tornadoes. It's not like every project is like KDE with a Nate Graham willing to help people to get started contributing.

Until we can start going "I want, I want, I want" without the DIY Brigade or the Be Grateful Bunch peeing on everyone's cereal, we'll stay a hobbyist OS and we won't pick up gamers and casuals. People who just want to sit down, use their stuff, and have a good time don't really like hearing "do it yourself" or "be grateful" after a 40 hour work week with a family to take care of. They just want to go "I like that software and I'd like it if it could do this and that" and then get off the forums and play their game or do their taxes or whatever.

Sorry. Didn't mean to TLDR that.
              Um, the reason Windows users can act entitled and complain to get what they want is because they're 90-something percent of the gaming market and can't be ignored. We, meanwhile, are under 1% and are irrelevant.

Acting titled is precisely the way you get devs and publishers to not only ignore us, but actively disdain us and refuse to help in any way.

Hopefully no one listens to you and this dumbass take.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post

What then is the sacred meaning of Open Source?

So, when AMD develops the AMDVLK driver at home, they are suckers and "we want open development".

When Valve develop something - well, it's their people and their work. Some hypocrisy.. I 've had a lot on my mind.
                You do understand that everything Valve has been working on is open source do you?

Because it seems that you are missing that vital point.

Development happening behind closed doors is normal, specially when the people doing the bulk of the work are the ones who had the initiative of starting it in the first place, you're free to contribute patches to wine or proton. What else do you want? an invitation to the dev's office for tea and cookies?

Troll score 0%

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

This is honestly just total bullshit and ignorance.

First of all, currently it works in zero games, because the work had to be stopped so the main dev (who works for Codeweavers, not Valve) had to go back and finish upstreaming the Media Foundation work before he could pick up EAC again. Because, y'know, he has a job. And after that's done, he will start back on EAC.

Second of all, it wasn't "some games," it was all of them. It wasn't a workaround, EAC actually was working, and it worked in every game tested. The only games that didn't work were games that didn't work for *other* reasons unrelated to EAC.

BattlEye has not been worked on recently as far as anything public is concerned, and likely won't be what with how hostile BE is over trying to play BE games on anything but a Windows bare metal installation.
                  I will add to your post: All those issues are being worked on, some in parallel, some after some other structural issues are addressed first.

Wine devs do not want ugly hacks in the code, specially when the issue stems from some architectural flaw or weakness in wine such as the syscall emulation that also requires fixes in the kernel and the whole NTDLL and PE changes required on wine so anticheat in games doesn't think you're trying to hack the game.

Those changes affect lots of other stuff and have to be handled with upmost care to prevent all the good work done in the last few years to go to waste and have idiots on the internet complaining about their game breaking down and how shitty and impossible is to make all games work in proton.

Comment

I don't understand.. why do they keep those thing secret/private? There's so much secrecy with those extensions development happening behing closed doors. Why aren't them published in a github repo, in form of a PR even since the inception, so that anyone can participate if they want to?
                    I wouldn't call it secret, just behind a paywall and NDA. You have to pay Khronos a wad of money, then you join the groups. It has two advantages: (1) it keeps the rabble out (2) it pays for the electricity and so forth.

I guess they need to keep it quiet because competing companies like Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft would refuse together in any other way...

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                      ..that everything Valve has been working on is open source?
                      No

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                      What else do you want? an invitation to the dev's office for tea and cookies?
                      I don't want anything. I have nothing against Valve. I just pointed out the hypocrisy of the Linux community.

Comment

Working...
                      X