Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity Is The Latest Company To Join Blender's Development Fund

Phoronix: Unity Is The Latest Company To Join Blender's Development Fund

Unity Tech is the latest high profile company joining the Blender Development Fund for assisting this leading open-source 3D modeling software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see Unity join the Blender's development fund!
    With Intel now stepping up their graphics game, maybe it is time for them to step up their commitment to Blender too.

I was a bit surprised to see Adidas there, that's cool.

Unigine is nowhere to be found.

Comment

Each new corporate support for Blender that is announced, makes it more and more like the Linux Kernel of the 3D tools. If I was one of their paid/proprietary competition, I would be seriously concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        If I was one of their paid/proprietary competition, I would be seriously concerned.
        Nah - you'd be cutting back your development to nothing, concentrating on locking your existing customers into the ecosystem, and splitting your product SKUs into "free for education users", a standard commercial product, and an extra expensive version that has the useful features.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Nah - you'd be cutting back your development to nothing, concentrating on locking your existing customers into the ecosystem, and splitting your product SKUs into "free for education users", a standard commercial product, and an extra expensive version that has the useful features.
          and a cloud service with monthly/annual fees.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Unigine is nowhere to be found.
            Unigine is still trying to figure out how to market their engine...

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
              and a cloud service with monthly/annual fees.
              To be fair, this kind of sleazy crap suits Unity and its DRM subscription well.

Just had a look, Unity doesn't even support a propetual license anymore and switched entirely to subscription. Why do people use this prosumer crap?

It just means we have absolutely zero way of maintaining the software once Unity goes bankrupt. Bunch of clowns.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 23 August 2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

The game engine, the defunct Ubuntu environment or Assassin's Creed? Incomplete title. Usually a sign of tabloid.

Comment

Working...
                X