Steam Linux Percentage For May Points To A New Multi-Year High

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

There's no reason to do that anymore. Proton is getting to be better than native linux games. Sure you lose that 10% performance but you gain long term stability. For me I run a couple "native" games via proton now because the native ports stopped working. From DBUS message version issues all the way down to libc incompatibilities, linux is just not good for binary redistribution.

If I was developing a game today even as a Linux main user I'd just not release it for Linux because of the extra amount of support and breakage. Make it so it's fine on Proton and be done with it. This is how it's going to be now.
    I'm not buying any game only working through Proton, it's a half-baked solution that I couldn't care less about.
    I will only reward (by paying) developers that went through that extra amount of support and breakage. I don't mind if it excludes some AAA games, as I'm fine with the current Linux catalogue. I have around 90 native Linux games out of a 100, with the remaining 10 coming from Humble bundles and I don't play them.

What you are doing by advertising Proton is a disservice to Linux, as less games will be ported, and it'll bring us back 5 years ago, at the Wine era, and it will be hit and miss, with a lot of games breaking randomly after updates. Just no. You are entitled to use it if you want, but please stop advising them to drop Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I still haven't had the survey on Steam for Linux for a long time, despite using it for years now. I only had it once a couple years ago, but to this day, no more ever since.
      sed -i -e '/SurveyDate/ s/"[0-9].*"/"'$(date +%Y-%m-%d -d "1 year ago")'"/' ~/.steam/steam/config/config.vdf

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        I'm not buying any game only working through Proton, it's a half-baked solution that I couldn't care less about.
        I will only reward (by paying) developers that went through that extra amount of support and breakage. I don't mind if it excludes some AAA games, as I'm fine with the current Linux catalogue. I have around 90 native Linux games out of a 100, with the remaining 10 coming from Humble bundles and I don't play them.

What you are doing by advertising Proton is a disservice to Linux, as less games will be ported, and it'll bring us back 5 years ago, at the Wine era, and it will be hit and miss, with a lot of games breaking randomly after updates. Just no. You are entitled to use it if you want, but please stop advising them to drop Linux support.
        I'm just being realistic. Proton has for me been more stable than native linux games lately. Almost all older native games break on non-ubuntu setups due to some stupid problem, yet running them via Proton works.

As I said the issue is Linux binary compatibility is non existant, this is as old as Linux itself and I doubt it'll get fixed since it also kinda pushes people into OSS-ing their stuff. Also I'm not advising anyone to do anything I'm just saying that supporting Linux natively has 0 business sense. Reality and wishy-washy thinking don't mix.

I'm a 20+ years Linux user and advocate, but my stance has changed from "fanatically Linux + convert anyone on the street" to "just use it if you like it". If you give devs an incentive to support Linux they will. But it has to be a business incentive, not just "feels good moral high ground" incentive.

Comment

I'm just being realistic. Proton has for me been more stable than native linux games lately. Almost all older native games break on non-ubuntu setups due to some stupid problem, yet running them via Proton works.
          I haven't run into those issues (yet?), either on Ubuntu or Manjaro.

Also I'm not advising anyone to do anything I'm just saying that supporting Linux natively has 0 business sense. Reality and wishy-washy thinking don't mix.

I'm a 20+ years Linux user and advocate, but my stance has changed from "fanatically Linux + convert anyone on the street" to "just use it if you like it". If you give devs an incentive to support Linux they will. But it has to be a business incentive, not just "feels good moral high ground" incentive.
          I don't think it has 0 business sense, there wouldn't be thousands of games available if there was no business sense. I don't believe these come from feels good moral high ground, but of enough revenues to break even at the very least least (but probably more).
          I'm no fanatical Linux user, I barely ever talk about it with anyone, and maybe 10 persons know I'm using Linux at home (for 15 years).

Some say Proton might show good stats for Linux and show there is a crowd hence a business case for a port there, and it very well might be. But I believe they will just rub their hands and call it a day in general if we stop paying and caring for those Linux games.
          I don't know where's the egg and the chicken here but I opted for rewarding games that made the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post

it does show, but by default it is showing .desktop applications only. you can select it to show all files from the bottom. I have added few games into steam like that and they work fine with proton like that.
            Thanks, but that's not the problem.
            I have installed the game in /home/my-username/Games/GTAV
            The stupid Steam file manager refuses tho show me the "Games" folder, even with All files selected instead of *.desktop, so I cannot enter inside and then into GTAV.
            It shows the other Desktop, Pictures, Music, etc. that are at the same level as Games, but not Games.
            I don't know what crap Steam developers made, but they somehow intentionally hide Games folder.
            even tried to put the path copied from Dolphin in the File name field and press Enter like on Windows to navigate there, but it refuses to move.
            Also I don't know where Lutris puts the .desktop shortcuts, cause they are not on my real desktop to try to add it from there.

Comment

Working...
            X