Valve's Proton 4.11-8 Begins Bundling VKD3D, Improves Rockstar Launcher Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
    We NEED BattleEye running on Linux Steam/Proton/Wine badly.
    NO PUBG, Fortnite, etc. Our son is so sad about.

We had Fortnite 'running' with Wine 4.19 and then boom...
    PUBG paid and installed under Steam/Proton-4.11-8 click 'play'...boom.

Valve please do something about.
    Please avoid doing BattleEye that is not the name of it the product name is BattlEye only 1 e.

https://www.battleye.com/support/faq/
    • When starting my game with BattlEye enabled, random legitimate applications on my system are being terminated.
    • When starting my game with BattlEye enabled, my system crashes with a bluescreen (BSOD).
    Those 2 are a good read. BattlEye under windows is not good. The second one is quite a nightmare "First of all, ensure that Driver Verifier is disabled on your system," that you cannot use Driver Verifier are are doing stuff out side the Microsoft Windows driver development kit recommendations actions.

BattlEye should be in the boycott game for most users due to what it does. BattlEye should be you don't play it unless you have a decanted gaming only computer and even then need to take extra security to isolate it from your other machines because BattlEye forces windows to run with downgraded security. Windows security is poor enough without being even poorer. Yes that random-ally terminating applications can be killing your third party anti-virus and this is caused because they use undocumented sections of windows kernel to check if applications should be allowed to run or not so when Microsoft developers change those all hell breaks loss.

Here's a bit of interesting news to end the week with, BattlEye have said they are working with Valve to get their anti-cheat working with Steam Play/Proton.

There is evidence that valve is attempt to work with BattlEye to get those games to work. But when we are talking about a product like BattlEye that not obeying Microsoft requirements on driver development you are kind of in a deep pit of hell where developers at Valve will most likely have to be saying no to things they are requesting todo because Linux users absolutely will not tolerate it. This would be a different matter if we were talking about one of the anti-cheats that do in fact obey Microsoft development instructions. Like we could have been talking about the windows version of punkbuster that wine cannot get work due to it check-summing everything at least this is not break your OS security solution. Yes there is a Linux version of punkbuster that Linux users don't instantly look at the security of it and hate it..

In some ways we may need BattlEye working under Linux with proton because BattlEye is insecure under Windows and maybe the Linux support will be done right but I would not be holding my breath on that.

Really there have been games using BattlEye anti-cheat under windows when ported to Linux use a different anti-cheat that don't breach the core of your operating system. So in some ways you could be up the game developers using BattlEye to release a Linux version due to their current solution being a insecure mess or maybe change away from BattlEye to something that is not a insecure mess that happens to work under wine as well.

The reality is some of the stuff that does not work under wine when you look closer you really should be avoiding running it in the first place or be really restrictive how you do run those programs.

Yes I know gamers really don't like being told they should not play X game because it a security disaster but that is the reality with the BattEye stuff.

PS VMware Player/Workstation 14.x.x/15.x.x do not run any longer on Xeon X34xx (Nehalem).
    ESXi dropped that was well. Virtualbox or kvm/qemu it is on that hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

[-]

Thanks for your input!

Virtualbox is under test already.
      But 3D speed...

Comment

Virtualbox is under test already.
        But 3D speed...
        The only way with Windows in kvm and virtualbox really to get decent speed is full gpu pass-though.

There is decent Linux to Linux acceleration for KVM/qemu with GPU with virgl with only 1 GPU. But this brings back the problem of having to make drivers for windows that work.

Windows support is annoying poor and it something that in fact requires more resources than doing Linux support for advance hypervisor things.

Comment

The GloriousEggroll edition of proton helps GTA V as well. Previously I had no issue cranking up the graphics to max while gaming at 4K on Windows. Under Linux I couldn't even get the game to download/install (not under steam, bought it directly through GMG at a steep discount during launch, so I had to use the GTA V downlader). When I did finally get things working, 4K just wasn't working. Finally I installed Proton-GE as a last resort and bam! 4K running better than Windows. The game is so immersive at 4k/max details it's incredible. Sometimes I just cruise around listening to the radio just to take in all the sights and sounds. Hard to believe the game launched way back in 2013.

Apparently RDR2 will be ready in time for the steam release. Also, apparently RDR2 doesn't even run (launch) properly on (many of) both Intel and AMD Windows machines, and the fingers are currently being pointed at Rockstar's DRM. Also the 187.5 FPS bug is present for Core i5 systems without HT, just like it is in GTA V. Hit that FPS cap and you get 150 ms frame times.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Why would you even consider d3d12 when the game defaults to Vulkan which we can run "natively" so to speak?
            You run into stupid ass cases of other games (especially ones using certain versions of Unity) that lock up or don't work properly with Vulkan, but the Windows version running under DXVK works just fine. See 7 Days to Die Alpha 18 for one of 5 examples I've found.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Please avoid doing BattleEye that is not the name of it the product name is BattlEye only 1 e.

https://www.battleye.com/support/faq/
              • When starting my game with BattlEye enabled, random legitimate applications on my system are being terminated.
              • When starting my game with BattlEye enabled, my system crashes with a bluescreen (BSOD).
              Those 2 are a good read. BattlEye under windows is not good. The second one is quite a nightmare "First of all, ensure that Driver Verifier is disabled on your system," that you cannot use Driver Verifier are are doing stuff out side the Microsoft Windows driver development kit recommendations actions.

BattlEye should be in the boycott game for most users due to what it does. BattlEye should be you don't play it unless you have a decanted gaming only computer and even then need to take extra security to isolate it from your other machines because BattlEye forces windows to run with downgraded security. Windows security is poor enough without being even poorer. Yes that random-ally terminating applications can be killing your third party anti-virus and this is caused because they use undocumented sections of windows kernel to check if applications should be allowed to run or not so when Microsoft developers change those all hell breaks loss.

Here's a bit of interesting news to end the week with, BattlEye have said they are working with Valve to get their anti-cheat working with Steam Play/Proton.

There is evidence that valve is attempt to work with BattlEye to get those games to work. But when we are talking about a product like BattlEye that not obeying Microsoft requirements on driver development you are kind of in a deep pit of hell where developers at Valve will most likely have to be saying no to things they are requesting todo because Linux users absolutely will not tolerate it. This would be a different matter if we were talking about one of the anti-cheats that do in fact obey Microsoft development instructions. Like we could have been talking about the windows version of punkbuster that wine cannot get work due to it check-summing everything at least this is not break your OS security solution. Yes there is a Linux version of punkbuster that Linux users don't instantly look at the security of it and hate it..

In some ways we may need BattlEye working under Linux with proton because BattlEye is insecure under Windows and maybe the Linux support will be done right but I would not be holding my breath on that.

Really there have been games using BattlEye anti-cheat under windows when ported to Linux use a different anti-cheat that don't breach the core of your operating system. So in some ways you could be up the game developers using BattlEye to release a Linux version due to their current solution being a insecure mess or maybe change away from BattlEye to something that is not a insecure mess that happens to work under wine as well.

The reality is some of the stuff that does not work under wine when you look closer you really should be avoiding running it in the first place or be really restrictive how you do run those programs.

Yes I know gamers really don't like being told they should not play X game because it a security disaster but that is the reality with the BattEye stuff.

Avoid any games that use BattlEye. Honestly. PUBG dug a grave. They can remove it and use another anti-cheat app should they choose. They are just as much as fault. Valve IS working with BattlEye, but quite honestly, I find it quicker, easier, and much more fun not to play the game. Other anti cheat engines work under Linux (including Easy AntiCheat), and let's face it. None of the cheat engines have stopped the cheaters.

Finally, a few other developments:

1) Microsoft is going to be cracking down hard on future games that use this type of abusive behavior. Driver signing is going to become an absolute REQUIREMENT going forward, and games that need to do system level changes to your machine will automatically be sandboxed in a special version of Hyper-V.

2) Wine itself is looking at possibly making the driver stack, along with lower level Windows API technology work better. This will improve compatibility for abusive apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

I don't see BattleEye coming any time soon. It relies on kernel modules
                No, it needs Windows drivers. It also needs wine Implementation support of those drivers. Everything can be done in userland. Also I happen to know that BattlEye is so easily worked around it's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  I don't see BattleEye coming any time soon. It relies on kernel modules
                  all windows programs rely on windows kernel in some way, and they work on wine somehow

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post
                    No, it needs Windows drivers. It also needs wine Implementation support of those drivers. Everything can be done in userland. Also I happen to know that BattlEye is so easily worked around it's ridiculous.
                    Not exactly true bad behaving drivers like BattlEye ones use features that Microsoft says you should not use in a driver that are ring 0 only.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    all windows programs rely on windows kernel in some way, and they work on wine somehow
                    Wine is wrapping stuff as it a compatibility layer so it send to native host items as fast as it can.. Kernel modules that are bad behaving that are using ring 0 features do fail in wine big time.

Wine runs windows drivers by winedevice that is a user-mode running program. This also means drivers running inside wine lot of cases don't have host hardware access.

Yes BattlEye falls under bad behaving.

Comment

Working...
                    X