Godot 4.0 Vulkan Support Continues Progressing - GI System Overhauled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 Vulkan Support Continues Progressing - GI System Overhauled

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 Vulkan Support Continues Progressing - GI System Overhauled

Godot 4.0 continues to be worked on with much excitement by lead developer Juan Linietsky and others. While continuing to advance the Vulkan code in general for its introduction in Godot 4.0, over the past month most of the development efforts were focused on global illumination...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. This sound really nice.

Comment

Godot soon to challenge Unity3D perhaps?
      The biggest issue Unity3D has is its real easy to make a huge unoptimized mess of a game!
      Oh and everyone keeps using default options which means DX12 and Vulkan NEVER gets used! (it should default to newest API's IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Godot soon to challenge Unity3D perhaps?
        The biggest issue Unity3D has is its real easy to make a huge unoptimized mess of a game!
        Oh and everyone keeps using default options which means DX12 and Vulkan NEVER gets used! (it should default to newest API's IMO)
        Yeah. I can't help but think a game like KSP would benefit from using Vulkan. DXVK isn't so bad but it adds even more lag into an already laggy as hell game. I should probably try that with ACO one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yeah. I can't help but think a game like KSP would benefit from using Vulkan. DXVK isn't so bad but it adds even more lag into an already laggy as hell game. I should probably try that with ACO one of these days.
          I haven't been keeping up with KSP. Did they stop updating the Linux builds or something?

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I haven't been keeping up with KSP. Did they stop updating the Linux builds or something?
            No, but there's usually better mod compatibility with the Windows version.

Comment

I played with Godot 3 for the first time today. I really enjoyed the simplicity of it, took me 10 minutes to download, install, and learn the basics. Ironically the name is still confusing. I was wondering about SDL support and this discussion was very interesting (different perspective): https://github.com/godotengine/godot/pull/16470

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

KSP2 will likely use Vulkan. The trailer looks amazing.

Unfortunately the new "development studio" decided to stick to using Unity3D. I doubt the game will have 10% of the detail that the trailer shows since there are no games on Unity3D that works well on large scale. PlayRust and Subnautica are the best so far while both games look and run great (unless you build big bases) the games use a ton of object culling to solve problems and the CPU overhead is still insane especially if you play on modded servers (much more big bases). By the looks of it the KSP2 trailer (and likely the game) is focused on people who enjoy eye candy. I was hoping for FPS and physics performance improvements over visual improvements.

This is interesting extra about real time physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atcKO15YVD8

Comment

The VCTGI implementation in Godot 4.0 will be one of the most advanced GI systems developed to this day ready for practical use.
                Matias Goldberg from OGRE team helped a lot with it so he deserves a praise too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                  Unfortunately the new "development studio" decided to stick to using Unity3D. I doubt the game will have 10% of the detail that the trailer shows since there are no games
                  The latest builds of Unity3D are supposedly quite good, I assume that is what KSP2 is using since it has vulkan support. Just keep in mind A LOT of unity3d games available atm are built on OLD 2017/2018 (or older) versions of the engine. Some developers claim to be updating to newer builds but it's abundantly clear most the code is still OLD (empyrion for example)

Comment

Working...
                  X