X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulenmar
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Plus trailers are biased to show games in the best possible way. Youtube play-through videos only show the games being played without necessarily having a bias.
    Which is, of course, why Nintendo went on a lawyer-rampage to get YouTubers playthrough videos banned. Why have *actual* demonstrations of the game, people might realize it's not to their tastes, and not buy it!

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Unfortunately it is usually because it requires an older version of Mesa than most Linux distros provide. Either that or it requires a kernel feature in the 2.x series or a very old glibc.

The sad truth is that unlike Windows, the backwards compatibility of Linux is a little bit lacking. Even the most popular distro is faffing with the idea of dropping 32-bit support.

That is if you only purchase a binary license. Unless I can buy a source code license, I tend to just grab a quick and dirty binary from the Pirate Bay instead. I am quite happy to pay up to £500 for a personal source code license to a game or software I really enjoy. Slightly less so for leaked source but if I cannot get it from the company directly, I simply buy it from "slightly more quirky" vendors instead . Either way I then simply maintain a working copy myself for personal use.
    The backwards compatibility of Windows is lacking too. For example, the original RCT doesn't even run properly on Windows 10, it requires patches and even then it's not very stable (crashes frequently).

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Stop looking at Steam Trailers and go for youtube as first and only video search
    No need to smoke to calm your nerves
    ????
    Profit
    Well, sometimes I see a game on Steam that looks neat or has a fun sounding name, the Steam trailer can be enough for me to go "nope, that doesn't look like it's up my alley" and save me some time searching for it on YouTube.

It's when I see those games that I'm not quite sure if I'd like or not that have the biased cut-scene trailers that I really need YouTube play-through videos to make an informed decision. That does happen more often than not.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

My process:
    1. See game on Steam that looks interesting.
    2. View game trailer.
    3. Get pissed that game trailer has no in-game gameplay and is all cut-scenes.
    4. Watch trailers two and three and maybe see 10 seconds of gameplay.
    5. Get really pissed and light a cigarette to calm my nerves.
    6. Youtube someone playing the game.
    7. Watch the game be played.
    8. Finally make final decision.
    Stop looking at Steam Trailers and go for youtube as first and only video search
    No need to smoke to calm your nerves
    ????
    Profit

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Ananace View Post

And amusingly enough, it could be a lot worse. Seeing as Valve have been actually really good at enforcing their rule about store page contents. You are not allowed to base your store page off of artwork, the majority - if not all - of the images on there must be taken from the game itself.

This requirement makes it so much nicer to use Steam for looking at games, rather than most other stores I've seen where the publishers are allowed to put any picture they'd want on their game, regardless of if it's in any way related to the actual content or not.
    Yeah, but, the games that use almost all or all cut-scenes in their trailers can still be very misleading. Technically speaking, cut-scenes are in-game content. Imagine only seeing FFVII cut-scenes and then buying the game based on that. Pretty 3D cut-scenes in trailer, pixilated mess in-game.

Plus trailers are biased to show games in the best possible way. Youtube play-through videos only show the games being played without necessarily having a bias.

Leave a comment:

• Ananace
    replied

My process:
    1. See game on Steam that looks interesting.
    2. View game trailer.
    3. Get pissed that game trailer has no in-game gameplay and is all cut-scenes.
    4. Watch trailers two and three and maybe see 10 seconds of gameplay.
    5. Get really pissed and light a cigarette to calm my nerves.
    6. Youtube someone playing the game.
    7. Watch the game be played.
    8. Finally make final decision.
    And amusingly enough, it could be a lot worse. Seeing as Valve have been actually really good at enforcing their rule about store page contents. You are not allowed to base your store page off of artwork, the majority - if not all - of the images on there must be taken from the game itself.

This requirement makes it so much nicer to use Steam for looking at games, rather than most other stores I've seen where the publishers are allowed to put any picture they'd want on their game, regardless of if it's in any way related to the actual content or not.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied

I know. I should have added a smiley to indicate my sarcasm. Luckily we have an edit ability.
    Hah fair enough.

It is just annoying to think that people suggest computers are getting better and yet are failing to be able to run software that used to work fine. It doesn't sound "better" to me, it just sounds "different".

Same as with Wayland. Possibly adding 1 fps improvement but dropping the network protocol and losing compatibility with hundreds of software titles really can never be better. Unfortunately the same kids who just want faster games, don't quite understand the importance of backwards compatibility and we end up losing it. Something is not right here and it is potentially starting to become a bit of a cancer.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Seems to be about useless community stuff, not actual features. I'd be more happy to see something like what gmail has, actual features you can turn on and off. Like a new download manager or something.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by paupav View Post
    all new games are bad, and UT is only good game currently, but it runs really bad on my system.
    UT99 (the best UT) runs on anything

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Unfortunately it is usually because it requires an older version of Mesa than most Linux distros provide. Either that or it requires a kernel feature in the 2.x series or a very old glibc.

The sad truth is that unlike Windows, the backwards compatibility of Linux is a little bit lacking. Even the most popular is faffing with the idea of dropping 32-bit support.
    I know. I should have added a smiley to indicate my sarcasm. Luckily we have an edit ability.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X