Proton 3.16-8 Available With DXVK 1.0, Unity Game Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Proton uses wine while wine-staging has better support for games (wine-staging has a lot of more patches than wine). Use wine-staging and dxvk without proton if you want to have the best support for windows games.
    Ethan lee said in the video above that proton adds wine staging patches. He was not specific if they add all or some.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Anti-cheats probably going forward is going to be more complicated, one of the ways an anti-cheat works is by detecting modified copies of windows libraries which the game uses, so wouldn't be surprised if signed-wine builds from Steam becomes a thing.

Otherwise you could modify Wine to give you unfair advantages.
      But I want to compile my own Wine because the default compiler options are horrible. That's so lame, give up the advantage of open source.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Uplay and Origin clients works fine with wine-staging 4.3, dxvk 1.0, Padoka ppa Mesa git, Debian sid Xfce and RX570.
        Wine-staging doesn't count, as it requires work and effort. You can just install pirated windows then, which is almost as free as linux. The point of Proton is click to install and click to play, without anything else to do.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That's because most already are playable. The majority of remaining unplayable ones are affected by some junk DRM / anti-cheat which doesn't work in Wine at all.
          Yes, there's a lot of that preventing games from working. I mentioned FarCry New Dawn... I believe that one works because it's not using Ubisoft's asshole anti-cheat software. (It doesn't really have multiplayer, just the ability to play co-op).

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Wine-staging doesn't count, as it requires work and effort. You can just install pirated windows then, which is almost as free as linux. The point of Proton is click to install and click to play, without anything else to do.
            No, the point of "click to install and click to play" has nothing to do with Proton but with Steam. You can get wine-staging and DXVK the same way with Lutris.

Comment

Working...
            X