No announcement yet.

Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I see the buzz over the internet about this rumor of steam linux client (I don't mind is the rumor is rather true or rather false), I just see that there is a strong demand for AAA games titles on linux.
    Of course, Linux is now only 5% of the market (certainly less), but I bet there is a bunch of windows gamers that would just be happy to switch to linux is only there was more games...

... and games editors are just waiting more people on linux before publishing a native linux client.

How long are we going to wait for each other ???

Comment

I'll believe it when valve anounces it and not before. That being said I'm not a huge fan of steam (I like being able to install and play my games on a PC without an internet connection) but it would help bring more games to linux so I wont complain.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
        Well your view on this is the minority and really does not even make much sense. The whole point of alt-tab is so that one can run other applications, such as teamspeak, or check something on the web quick. I feel entrapped by the game, and left with zero options, if I need to do something quick outside of the game.

The ability to Alt-Tab out of a game was one of the top user requested features for Cedega. They made a script that allowed for this (Even though one could just set up keys for different desktops already ).
        Erm, I totally lost what you were arguing for/against. I'm arguing for the ability for Linux users to be rescued out of full-screen games a) if they want to do something else and b) if they have to to save themselves like in the case of a game lock-up. So, sounds like we want the same thing. ^^

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        How long are we going to wait for each other ???
        Catch-22s are painful yes, at least there is even more switching because of the economy being tight, which helps. I don't think things will really start to change until Linux computers are sold with it pre-installed in most retail stores though. The mass online pre-installed sales are the first sign of that eventually happening but it's still a little ways off, but the barrier is more software being available for Linux, which is, again, the catch-22, but it's being developed, just takes a while.

Comment

Okay, I'm late for the party. I think overall, it's good news in that at least Valve realizes there is a Linux market.

Now, the question is... what games will they be shuttling through Steam? Kill Bill? Minesweeper?

Comment

Whats with Phoronix and the lame link baiting? This is nothing more than speculation coming from the uninformed. Get a clue before you post lame 'stories' like this. I am very close to removing this site from my RSS feeds.

Comment

This story got picked up by arstechnica. Even using a picture from the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                That being said I'm not a huge fan of steam (I like being able to install and play my games on a PC without an internet connection)
                Well, with the last wave or two of AAA titles, you don't get that option no matter what. All the latest SecuROM require an internet connection just to install, and require it at every startup to play.

I'm with you, don't get me wrong. The idea of not being able to play a game I bought simply because the developer has moved on and thinks I should do bothers me a lot. That said, I think Steam is more reliable than $GENERIC_GAME_DEV + SecuROM activation. I have no problems giving Steam my money for a new game. I know patching is automagically taken care of, I don't have to keep track of media, disc images, or serial numbers. It is putting a lot of my stuff in one basket, but it's a very very nice basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post
                  Well, with the last wave or two of AAA titles, you don't get that option no matter what. All the latest SecuROM require an internet connection just to install, and require it at every startup to play.

I'm with you, don't get me wrong. The idea of not being able to play a game I bought simply because the developer has moved on and thinks I should do bothers me a lot. That said, I think Steam is more reliable than $GENERIC_GAME_DEV + SecuROM activation. I have no problems giving Steam my money for a new game. I know patching is automagically taken care of, I don't have to keep track of media, disc images, or serial numbers. It is putting a lot of my stuff in one basket, but it's a very very nice basket.
                  Oh without a doubt steam is miles a head of that SecuROM crap being used in games these days, I mean it doesn't just take from the user (limiting install/internet activations and all that) but gives you auto-updates, community features etc. But if the game is released only on steam I'd be less likely to grab it.

Comment

Oh without a doubt steam is miles a head of that SecuROM crap being used in games these days, I mean it doesn't just take from the user (limiting install/internet activations and all that) but gives you auto-updates, community features etc. But if the game is released only on steam I'd be less likely to grab it.
                    "Good"?

"it doesn't just take from the user" => It locks down the game files so you have no more free access to them ( including various "steam problems" which forced me to install the game from an official release instead since it messed up directory locations )

"gives you auto-updates" => Which constantly break your games if you (a) mod with them or (b) are no more maintained actively

"community features" => Heaps of dead steam groups and in general a placed filled with attention whoring facebook crook-heads? Now that I call an "achievement" ( end sarcasm )

There's more shit to it so the list could go on. Steam should do one thing and ONLY this: content delivery. All the rest should be none of their business.

Comment

Several steam games have Securom like their retail flavors. So you get 2 DRMs for the price of 1.

Comment

Working...
                      X