No announcement yet.

Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

From the link:

"The Steam Client is strictly a Windows application and there are no plans to create a native Linux Steam Client at this time.

Although the Steam Client is not available for Linux, there is a native Linux version of the Half-Life Dedicated Server available."

So either it's a typical lets pretend it's not there until we suddenly whip it out, because we can't have rumors. Or, they are telling the truth and aren't actually making one nor are interested in doing so right now. It's anyone's guess.

Comment

It's no secret that they do not like Linux one bit. The server part is already astonishing but happened more because majority of servers on the internet are Un*x based so they had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        It's no secret that they do not like Linux one bit. The server part is already astonishing but happened more because majority of servers on the internet are Un*x based so they had to.
        Could be a case of being taken over by Microsoft's interests. I've seen it happen.

Kick backs, though illegal, are so incredibly common.

Comment

Hang on, let's not let the conspiracy theories get out of hand. I've seen nothing from Valve that indicates that they hate linux, they just don't see the value in supporting their game clients on the platform. For servers they did, which is why they ported the game servers to linux. Viewing the support of linux game clients as unprofitable is not hate. Besides, the company was founded by a couple of former microsoft employees, so naturally their platform bias is visible in their work.

Now whether or not deciding against porting to linux and mac was a bad move on their part is a fair topic, but accusing them of taking a bribe, however, seems more like paranoia than anything.

Comment

It's not conspiracy theories. Gabe said himself that Linux will never happen. I don't have that article around anymore but he said it a couple of month ago. And if this comes from so high up I don't belief in conspiracy anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              It's not conspiracy theories. Gabe said himself that Linux will never happen. I don't have that article around anymore but he said it a couple of month ago. And if this comes from so high up I don't belief in conspiracy anymore
              Heh... This all depends on economics though...

Remember he said the same basic things about the PS3- and Orange Box is ON that platform anyhow. Wonder if they reminded him that cash is as much king as anything else...and if they served up his words with the crow he had to eat because of it...

No, I don't think it's happening anytime soon- partly based off of Gabe's remarks, partly based off of what all's gone on up to this point. But Gabe's word on something over there at Valve has less impact than many people think these days; it's of import, but it's not anywhere NEAR the final say on what Valve does/doesn't do.

Comment

Yeah, didn't think about the PS3 hating back then. But I think it's a bit easier to make the step to PS3 than Linux since the PS3 is a regulated zone so nobody can mess with the setup so no support required since it's one configuration and if it works, it works ( or else it's the problem of sony support ).

Comment

Left 4 Dead unconfirmed

Code:
                  SetOverlayNotificationPosition hates linux
                  Not body notice that ? How they can get that ? Why a computer engineering should put that in a library ? Are you kidding me ?

Comment

Originally posted by lefrancais View Post
                    Code:
                    SetOverlayNotificationPosition hates linux
                    Not body notice that ? How they can get that ? Why a computer engineering should put that in a library ? Are you kidding me ?
                    LOL, not the worse I've seen, I just reviewed earlier this week some suneido based code that a former employee at work had submitted a while back. The code is filled with comments on how his girlfriend is a b**ch.

Comment

• I'm guilty of that too. In my released normal mapper code you can find rants about GTK. I forgot to take them out when I switched to the FOX-Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                      X