No announcement yet.

Some Linux Gamers Using Wine/DXVK To Play Blizzard's Overwatch Banned - Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without wanting to open a can of worms, I've suspected for years that it would only be a matter of time before someone else realises, and actually publicly tries to do all sorts of cheatery by being able to interfere at that layer, no-op certain draw calls, etc - but I never said anything for fear of some company spotting it and then using the problem as an excuse to check checksums on everything and whitelist only certain OSs or versions of them.

It seems that the cat is out of the bag now anyway. Oops. The problem here is, you can't now compile from source and also have binaries with known checksums (at least, not when there are so many possible combinations of compiled output).

So what you get is, an industry of Windows-only games, or at least games that only work on Ubuntu version "X" and reject everything else. There's a possibility steam does this at least with libraries it uses itself (Ubuntu ones), since those ship with it (or used to, at least).
    Last edited by philcostin; 14 September 2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Anyone who supports anti-cheat is anti-Linux and anti-free software. Just facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
        If the roles were reversed and I was the FBI investigating the neo-Nazi's who tore the town of Charlottesville apart,
        Yikes, you don't care much for facts, do you. Hint: one group came to charlottesville and received the proper permits to hold a peaceful rally. Whether you agree with their message or not is irrelevant. A second much larger group showed up illegally, armed with weapons to do violence, and face masks to conceal their identity, and with the intent of provoking a conflict. It's ironic isn't it - the true fascists, haters, and inciters of violence in 2018 are the thugs who call themselves "anti-fa".
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 15 September 2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Torsionbar28, keep in mind that reverse planning is always a way to figure out what your enemies (in this case, the FBI) can do with motivation and smarts equal to your own.

Now to the example used: It was not antifa like myself that launched an ISIS-style car ramming attack, it was one of the Nazis. At the start of the day, Unicorn Riot's video proves that Nazis with shields charged into a crowd initially attempting to use a nonviolent blockade tactic. Also, in the Aug 11 torchlight parade Nazis beat and threw lit tiki torches at peaceful student and church-based counterprotesters at U-VA. Even before the beatings and violence that looked like Nuremburg 1936.

Some of the faith-based organizers credited antifa with literally saving their lives. The Nazis were not just there about monuments to slaveholders of the past, but also to advocate the expulsion of Black and Brown people from this Native-American-owned continent and grow their movement. Their goal may have been (and may still be) to become an unofficial street milita working hand-in-hand with Trump's government to "Make America White Again." We shut that momentum down cold at Charlottesville, though this victory cost us one dead and at least 19 wounded.

This was the real thing-weeks of hospitalization for the most seriously wounded and Heather Heyer is gone forever. Nobody can respawn and return to the fight in the real world! My father fought in WWII, and he did not do so with the intention that I would have to fight the same enemy 70 years later. He did not fight to bring the torchlit Nazi parades of Nuremburg to the streets of Charlottesville, for for the alt-right agenda of armed expulsion of everyone but white people from Turtle Island. Lastly, my father went though real war with real guns and real blood-not just playing Call of Duty against computer-generated Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            Their Warden anti-cheat changes its behaviour if Wine is detected, which can't be said for a lot of other anti-cheats that just refuse to fun.
            Well, that's no fun.

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
              The problem here is, you can't now compile from source and also have binaries with known checksums (at least, not when there are so many possible combinations of compiled output).
              That's what reproducible builds are for.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
                That's what reproducible builds are for.
                Yeah let's use open-source software and compile our stuff ourselves (presumably to tune it for our CPU), so that the output is identical to a distributed binary and give away all the benefits while gaining only pain (time to compile for no reason).

Makes total sense. So much pro-freedom!

Comment

Working...
                X