No announcement yet.

Valve Offers Up Proton Beta For Testing Steam Play Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope these changes get pushed upstream to Wine so that we all benefit, even those who don't use Steam.

Comment

I will read with pleasure proton / wine / MS WOS 10 + directx / opengl / vulkan settings 720p 1080p and 4k benchmarks.
      I just played doom vulkan and it was a pleasure - it works well with wine steam too -.
      I do not know why they put opengl as default setting.

Comment

mitcoes because Doom is originally OpenGL only - Vulkan support landed only in a letter patch.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
          How to enable DX11? Flight Sim World exits with "no DX11 device"
          Doom Demo doesn't work because of Denuovo DRM? How silly for a demo...
          Strange... Was able to run Doom 2016 full version on both Ubuntu Studio 16.04 and Manjaro 17 using playonlinux. To be quite honest it runs flawlessly. Setup a 64bit virtual drive within playonlinux though, so it does differ from this beta. Need to give Skyrim SE a go again. I think eventually Skyrim SE will be able to run in the future on linux and while using Reshade. It may be a while but I think it will happen.

Comment

Can I somehow pass a launch parameter to proton? I would like to add DXVK_HUD=1, but it doesn't show the usual output.

Comment

That would rather be DXVK_HUD=1 %command%
              But i honestly didnt test it. Since steam overlay is working you could give its fps counter a try if this is the info you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                How to enable DX11? Flight Sim World exits with "no DX11 device"
                Doom Demo doesn't work because of Denuovo DRM? How silly for a demo...
                Doom demo still has Denuvo? It was removed from the full game a long time ago. Oh Bethesda...... *facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by djb190 View Post
                  Here's hoping support for Denuvo and other DRM technologies becomes a reality with Proton. We should be able to play all our purchased Steam games on Linux.
                  No, the solution is not to support rootkit-like DRM schemes. The solution is to stop using DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    Why go through the hassle (and costs) of making a port, if the windows version already runs fine with Proton?
                    Because it'll be difficult to support a game that is buggier using another app like Proton. Proton won't be as fast as native Linux, and won't be as stable. If a good sizable amount of people using Proton to play your game, you'll be inclined to make a proper Linux port. Or we could do what developers have been doing and that's ignore the community who plays their games on Linux through Wine. Surely that'll get them to make a working Linux port.

Comment

Originally posted by skyrrd View Post
                      That would rather be DXVK_HUD=1 %command%
                      But i honestly didnt test it. Since steam overlay is working you could give its fps counter a try if this is the info you are looking for
                      Yes, you are right... totally forgot to add %command% :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X