No announcement yet.

The State of Gaming On Debian In 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't use any of those. I just compile Wine myself and create and use app prefixes by manually running `export WINEPREFIX="$(pwd)"` at the prefix root directory. It's not difficult at all, and appdb and the Wine bugzilla should be the first stop when running into problems.

Comment

Debian has zero support for most game development tools. Valve uses windows 10 for these applications lol https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/.
      Want to work at Valve? 3d animator job: Autodesk Maya , mudbox, 3d coat rhe/centosl has support but will use win 10...
      Debian and Ubuntu recommended for game development with unity and ue4.
      Want Algorithmic substance painter support for Ubuntu here's a link for steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/7..._Painter_2018/
      So what is Debian good for running windows games with Lutris?

Comment

I use Wine for Photoshop for years. For gaming I bought Alien Isolation and Rise of Tomb Raider from steam. Sorry I don't buy Wirows only games anymore.
        Hope to use my Samsung Odyssey soon with OpenXR.
        Last edited by mike44; 01 August 2018, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
          Debian has zero support for most game development tools. Valve uses windows 10 for these applications lol https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/.
          Want to work at Valve? 3d animator job: Autodesk Maya , mudbox, 3d coat rhe/centosl has support but will use win 10...
          Maya 2017 Installation on Ubuntu 16.04. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

Not as zero as you think.
          Maya 2017 Installation on Ubuntu 16.04. GitHub Gist: instantly share code, notes, and snippets.

Many different parties have scripts to install Maya, Mudbox, 3d coat on Ubuntu and Debian.

Yes the system requirements from autodesk make it sound like rhel/centos only but if you read autodesk support for the 3 programs you will see questions from people using them under Ubuntu and Debian. Really this shows kind how little the ABI difference really is. Its basically 3 libraries symlinked and the binaries of Maya/Mudbox/3d coat for RHEL/centos work under Ubuntu and Debian.

Debian and Ubuntu recommended for game development with unity and ue4.
          Sorry it way broader than that. You have totally missed the numbers working under Ubuntu/Debian who don't give a stuff about autodesk.... recommendations.

Want Algorithmic substance painter support for Ubuntu here's a link for steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/7..._Painter_2018/
          Please read that again.
          Ubuntu 12.4 / CentOS 6.6
          The recommend is basically the minimal. The recommend distribution on a lot of steam linux programs is deceptive. 12 in Ubuntu version number is 2012. Basically 2012 and newer for debian you add a year. So this comes 2013 debian that is Debian “wheezy”/Debian 7 or newer with all updates.

So that link is for debian/ubuntu/redhat/centos its just knowing how the version number map between those distributions.

Comment

I tried POL 8 years ago on Ubuntu 10.10. It hanged itself on such an easy task like starting World of Warcraft. I had it already installed, I was playing from /mnt/windows via ntfs-3g. That's quite a disappointment. Is POL still a disappointment?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Lutris is the replacement for POL. I don't know why someone would use POL over Lutris, unless you struggle learning new things.
              Lutris? That shit that wants you to log in so it too can track your private data? Fuck Lutris.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
                I tried POL 8 years ago on Ubuntu 10.10. It hanged itself on such an easy task like starting World of Warcraft. I had it already installed, I was playing from /mnt/windows via ntfs-3g. That's quite a disappointment. Is POL still a disappointment?
                To be correct wine is not recommend to run on top of ntfs-3g there is too much overhead and wine does depend on file system features that ntfs-3g does not provide.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

To be correct wine is not recommend to run on top of ntfs-3g there is too much overhead and wine does depend on file system features that ntfs-3g does not provide.
                  That was 8 years ago. I was dualbooting at that time and the silly little me was trying to save space and time by not duplicating stuff from my ntfs volumes to ext4 volumes just to play games on kosher Linux filesystems.

Comment

Already had that github page stared. I know it can be installed on Debian it's just a pain. Like Autodesk will not even support Fedora.
                    https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/insta...a/td-p/7785323 I know weta digital uses Ubuntu.
                    Linux is just too painful to use. Most people will just use windows. Also the drivers are terrible...

Comment

Already had that github page stared. I know it can be installed on Debian it's just a pain. Like Autodesk will not even support Fedora.
                      I know weta digital uses Ubuntu. Linux is just too painful to use. Most people will just use windows. Also the drivers are terrible...
                      Linux state of drivers can be very interesting. Autodesk tools under Linux perform better than under Windows with Nvidia closed source and Intel drivers graphics drivers mostly because file system drivers are better performing in Linux. AMD open source is getting there as well.

So Linux driver support is sometimes better than Windows.

Weta digital render farm is Ubuntu. Disney/Pixar render farm is Debian. Valve render farm is also Debian. You know those game intro movies that need more computer power to make than a single computer could do in a reasonable time. So working as a animator at Valve will at time put you into contact with Debian.

Reality here is working as a animator anywhere sooner or later you will be forced to work with some distribution of Linux more likely something deb based than rpm based. 100+ machine render farms are too expensive to-do in Windows its all the CLA and other things on top of the Windows license that makes it that way.

Most render farms are either Debian or Ubuntu even that installation of somethings is painful for a reason. There is some cluster management software packaged for Debian and Ubuntu that is not packaged for Fedora/RHEL makes keeping cluster going simpler. So its a trade off between easy install and easy to keep running. Little pain on install is not as important as keeping running.

Steamos use to be based on Ubuntu but its now based on Debian 8. The result of steam os being based on debian is everything in the steam store for Linux has to run on debian. Mostly because Debian has high QA than Ubuntu so turns out Debian gives valve personal less trouble. Yes testing internally made games at Valve will be spinning up steamos based on Debian.

Even so this segregated dynamic linking should allow more programs to ship runtimes on Linux and use host libraries without issue when this fully lands. This should allow the conflicting C++ runtimes and other things to be worked around. The developer working on this is working on making it a default feature of glibc.

Linux is getting less painful to use.

Comment

Working...
                      X