Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of the Tomb Raider Coming To Linux This Month

Phoronix: Rise of the Tomb Raider Coming To Linux This Month

Feral Interactive has just confirmed that Rise of the Tomb Raider for Linux will be released this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope it will perform the same or better than the windows dx12 version.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      Not gonna happen. Be happy if it gets within 80% of Windows performance and keep expectations in check.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with "hoping". But it won't happen. (Unless of course the DX12 version is exceptionally bad optimized.)

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Not gonna happen. Be happy if it gets within 80% of Windows performance and keep expectations in check.
          well we should keep asking for it...
          some devs have proven that you can get the same gaming perform on Linux as in Windows... Especially now that we have fast drivers.

So we should keep encouraging it and tackle the problems that are blocking us (I guess the porting frameworks used).

Comment

Hopefully with SteamVR support. I might buy a Samsung Odyssey for X-Plane.

Comment

Unless the original game was using Vulkan already, the porting will sacrifice some performance.

Comment

Last few games have been Vulkan, I take it that means all their common/reusable code to do with rendering is Vulkan now. Really good stuff

Comment

well we should keep asking for it...
                  some devs have proven that you can get the same gaming perform on Linux as in Windows... Especially now that we have fast drivers.

So we should keep encouraging it and tackle the problems that are blocking us (I guess the porting frameworks used).
                  I agree, but I don't see this happening as long as games are ported as an afterthought and need graphics API translation layers. Game devs need to start thinking multi-platform from the very start of their projects. As it is right now, most games are made for Windows and then ported to Mac and Linux as an afterthought which makes the two latter platforms look bad when in reality they really aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Rise of the Tomb Rider is very much like TR 2013. See comparison videos. Not worth buying. If you have not played older Tomb Raider games, TR Legend and Underwater are more interesting and they run fine with wine-staging.
                    Suggesting playing games in Wine is the opposite of supporting Linux, since you're buying Windows only games.

Comment

Working...
                    X