No announcement yet.

Unity Engine/Editor Publishes Reference C# Source Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C# and C++, *smh*. When are they going to switch to the holy grail, the one and only heaven, the sweet elixir Rust? :P

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
      I'm not confusing them, both are sh*t, but of course .NET is the biggest one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kushan View Post
        Either way he's wrong.
        .NET is generally synonymous with needlessly windows-centric functionality that does not exist in the open .NET.

And also truckloads of crap accumulated on top of each other (again for the windows one) in a baroque contraption.

The open .NET is another thing entirely and has already proved it outperforms the windows native one, for supported features anyway.

Comment

starshipeleven, exactly. Even before start you should know you are in M$ and Windows "glory" hole.

Comment

Seeing the first comment, I was like "Hell yeah, C# vs C++ holywar!". But 2 pages down, I see nobody standing for C#, I'm disappointed 😛

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
              starshipeleven, exactly. Even before start you should know you are in M$ and Windows "glory" hole.
              I'm just saying that C# as a language for opensource stuff is fine (as it is using Mono that is also OK).

It's the windows-oriented C# (= windows-only .NET monster) that is a piece of shit.
              The issue is the ecosystem (windows-centric .NET vs Mono the open crossplatform .NET ), not the language itself (C#).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

I'm just saying that C# as a language for opensource stuff is fine (as it is using Mono that is also OK).

It's the windows-oriented C# (= windows-only .NET monster) that is a piece of shit.
                The issue is the ecosystem (windows-centric .NET vs Mono the open crossplatform .NET ), not the language itself (C#).
                The language has also grown quite a bit. Not sure if it's that good anymore. It's still basically a Microsoft flavor of Java with some fixes and additions, but not much more.

It's good though that Mono has succeeded and is replacing Vala. Nobody misses Vala. Probably same thing can be said about GCJ Java, which died years ago.
                Last edited by caligula; 26 March 2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

This is just the C# binding layer. The real "engine" part is C++. You cannot make an efficient engine with things like Java or C#. There is no pointer arithmetic, no raw array access, just a load of amateur crud.

Plus we could always grab the C# stuff by just decompiling the UnityEngine.dll bytecode. What we need is the C++ source code before Unity becomes anything other than a consumer toy for kids.

Unity's Aras Pranckevičius announced, "We’d open source all of Unity today if we thought we could get away with it and still be in business tomorrow, and we do have a growing number of open source projects. But the main engine will remain proprietary for the foreseeable future
                  What is this tosh? Other engines such as UE4 make millions with commercial customers where the source has been released. We can already torrent a cracked Unity easily. You also need to activate the free version of Unity. No... this is purely about control. Unity controlling idiots and kids whilst they play "game making".
                  No company with any foresight will ever use this for anything other than quick gimmicks or prototypes. I wish they would also stop entertaining the kids in University with this bollocks.

On a more interesting note: UE4 (and its editor) has just been ported to FreeBSD
                  In case anyone is interested in some tech demo's/samples for UE4, I've been busy porting the engine and compiling most of the samples. A few are included here. These are all based on my personal fork of UE4, there is no support for FreeBSD in the official Epic repo. (edit: see the Unreal...
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 26 March 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                    This is just the C# binding layer. The real "engine" part is C++. You cannot make an efficient engine with things like Java or C#. There is no pointer arithmetic, no raw array access, just a load of amateur crud.

Plus we could always grab the C# stuff by just decompiling the UnityEngine.dll bytecode. What we need is the C++ source code before Unity becomes anything other than a consumer toy for kids.

What is this tosh? Other engines such as UE4 make millions with commercial customers where the source has been released. We can already torrent a cracked Unity easily. You also need to activate the free version of Unity. No... this is purely about control. Unity controlling idiots and kids whilst they play "game making".
                    No company with any foresight will ever use this for anything other than quick gimmicks or prototypes. I wish they would also stop entertaining the kids in University with this bollocks.

On a more interesting note: UE4 (and its editor) has just been ported to FreeBSD
                    https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/u...engine-4.65300
                    UE4 is not open source. The source code is available to view, but it is under a proprietary license.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/u...engine-4.65300
                      UE4 is not open source, just that almost anyone is able to access it, but you may never fork it etc. You can really get unity c++ source as well, just that it is a bit more difficult. what Aras said means they have licensed a lot of third-party libraries and have support for a lot of proprietary platforms which would lead them to a bunch of lawsuits. Unity's philosophy is that you should never worry about the engines' code, but rather about the game's code. And again, you can access unity's source code if you really need to.

Comment

Working...
                      X