Wine-Staging Will No Longer Be Putting Out New Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I've tried another game and it looked about the same, a few % of higher CPU usage but nothing interesting, so I have nothing to report myself.
    Yeah, performance are fine when my "default" overrides are changed to suit the newer implementation/version. However, the only problem so far is as follows, and I'm not sure why it happens (it does have something to do with dll overrides). When I create clean prefix, add dll overrides, start game in that prefix = everything is fine, game works properly, however, after I enable nine in ninewinecfg, game still works fine as expected, but when I disable it (untick), game instantnly crashes after overrides are used. That behaviour didn't happen with previous versions of wine (at least with staging 2.21).

If you want to test on your own game, these are changed overrides for 3.2 to make it work without those slow load times and stutters (in Split/Second at least):
    Code:
    winetricks d3dx9_30 d3dcompiler_43
    winetricks devenum
    winetricks quartz
    winetricks wmp10
    The reason why there are other overrides is because I prefer to use one prefix for all games I play (not much really), so d3dx9_30 is for TMUF/TMNF (it doesn't work without it, never did).

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Yeah, performance are fine when my "default" overrides are changed to suit the newer implementation/version. However, the only problem so far is as follows, and I'm not sure why it happens (it does have something to do with dll overrides). When I create clean prefix, add dll overrides, start game in that prefix = everything is fine, game works properly, however, after I enable nine in ninewinecfg, game still works fine as expected, but when I disable it (untick), game instantnly crashes after overrides are used. That behaviour didn't happen with previous versions of wine (at least with staging 2.21).

If you want to test on your own game, these are changed overrides for 3.2 to make it work without those slow load times and stutters (in Split/Second at least):
      Code:
      winetricks d3dx9_30 d3dcompiler_43
      winetricks devenum
      winetricks quartz
      winetricks wmp10
      The reason why there are other overrides is because I prefer to use one prefix for all games I play (not much really), so d3dx9_30 is for TMUF/TMNF (it doesn't work without it, never did).
      My understanding is that you should not need the d3d overrides with nine, so I'm not sure what's happening there. Maybe that's what you said previously, that it's going through both path. When you're running the game with nine and your override, is it faster/lower cpu usage than without nine?
      As for unticking nine leading to crashes, that's strange it works for me with my overrides, that's how I did my tests.

I'm afraid this is way above my knowledge here, I suggest talking to Siro about this or maybe if mannerov reads this

Comment

My understanding is that you should not need the d3d overrides with nine, so I'm not sure what's happening there. Maybe that's what you said previously, that it's going through both path. When you're running the game with nine and your override, is it faster/lower cpu usage than without nine?
        As for unticking nine leading to crashes, that's strange it works for me with my overrides, that's how I did my tests.

I'm afraid this is way above my knowledge here, I suggest talking to Siro about this or maybe if mannerov reads this
        It's really strange, but it is a problem with overrides nine does, this wasn't a problem with staging-nine 2.21, just tested it now, so, process as follows:

1. Clean 32-bit prefix, winecfg
        2. winetricks d3dcompiler_43
        3. Starting game (Split Second, it requires dedcompiler_43 regardless), game starts normally etc.
        4. ninewinecfg, enable nine
        5. Start game = works as expected.
        6. ninewinecfg, disable nine
        7. Start game = crash.
        8. winecfg, change d3d9 (added by nine) from native to builtin
        9. Start game = works fine.

So, the problem is that nine adds d3d9 override in wine prefix where it's enabled, but it doesn't roll back to builtin (or whatever is default) or remove it whenit's disabled. So, now we know what is the problem, and it is probably caused by this nine implementation (upstream, not package). This should be reported as bug.

EDIT:
        I spoke too soon, repeated process, with d3d9 removed by nine, it crashes again, and even changing it to builtin doesn't help... . This might as well be a wine bug.
        Last edited by leipero; 20 February 2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

This should be reported as bug.
          I agree

but yes I had not realize nine used overrides now, but it then makes sense that you may have issues with unticking it and not getting back to whatever state you had previously.
          Last edited by geearf; 20 February 2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Yup, that's the package.

I don't know much about the problem though, it might be my fault I haven't done much testing yet.
            When you start your game do you see the little green text saying nine is active? If so, I would assume the package to work as expected.
            Maybe it's related to something newer in the release I use than in Sarnex' patches that are used for the other nine related packages?

I just added a check to Wine >= 3.0 in case people tried with 2.x. I assume that was not your issue though.
            A big thanks for the package, I just started using it for LOTRO and gameplay is perfectly smooth on my Fury card. Loving it.
            Last edited by vein; 21 February 2018, 04:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post

A big thanks for the package, I just started using it for LOTRO and gameplay is perfectly smmoth on my Fury card. Loving it.
              You're very welcome!

Comment

It's really strange, but it is a problem with overrides nine does, this wasn't a problem with staging-nine 2.21, just tested it now, so, process as follows:

1. Clean 32-bit prefix, winecfg
                2. winetricks d3dcompiler_43
                3. Starting game (Split Second, it requires dedcompiler_43 regardless), game starts normally etc.
                4. ninewinecfg, enable nine
                5. Start game = works as expected.
                6. ninewinecfg, disable nine
                7. Start game = crash.
                8. winecfg, change d3d9 (added by nine) from native to builtin
                9. Start game = works fine.

So, the problem is that nine adds d3d9 override in wine prefix where it's enabled, but it doesn't roll back to builtin (or whatever is default) or remove it whenit's disabled. So, now we know what is the problem, and it is probably caused by this nine implementation (upstream, not package). This should be reported as bug.

EDIT:
                I spoke too soon, repeated process, with d3d9 removed by nine, it crashes again, and even changing it to builtin doesn't help... . This might as well be a wine bug.
                If it's that reproducible, why not...

1. Get to step 5
                2. cp -r YOUR_WINEPREFIX YOUR_WINEPRFIX.bak
                3. Get to the point where it should have reverted but is crashing
                4. diff -ru YOUR_WINEPRFIX.bak YOUR_WINEPRFIX

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Google origin legacy and click the link, it will download OriginThinSetup.exe.https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-...e/td-p/5824787
                  Yes EA hurt things as always

However try use legacy installer from my files

Comment

Can someone ELI5 why if the devs stopped releasing versions there are releases of 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 or 3.7?

Comment

Working...
                    X