Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PostgreSQL 10 Release Candidate 1 Arrives

Phoronix: PostgreSQL 10 Release Candidate 1 Arrives

The first release candidate of PostgreSQL 10.0 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Article mentions "postgre". There is no such thing. It is either postgres or postgresql. The 's' is not detachable.

Comment

Also, there is no "PostgreSQL 9" major numbers had two components before v10, so there is only 9.6, 9.5, 9.4... no such thing as "9"

Comment

Originally posted by tureba View Post
        Article mentions "postgre". There is no such thing. It is either postgres or postgresql. The 's' is not detachable.
        I'm pretty sure this was someone's post GRE project at some point

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm pretty sure this was someone's post GRE project at some point
          The name comes from 'post' + 'Ingres', meaning after Ingres. Ingres was developed in the 80's by Stonebreaker. No "GRE" either.

Comment

Originally posted by tureba View Post

The name comes from 'post' + 'Ingres', meaning after Ingres. Ingres was developed in the 80's by Stonebreaker. No "GRE" either.
            Even so, it's not postgresSQL... Though yeah, it's usually shortened as postgres, but that always, for some reason, hurt my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Even so, it's not postgresSQL... Though yeah, it's usually shortened as postgres, but that always, for some reason, hurt my ears.
              And removing the 's' or capitalizing the 'g' hurts other peoples' ears, mostly those active in its community.

Besides, it's not a matter of blindly removing the 'SQL'. It's a matter of calling it by its current full 'PostgreSQL' name or its previous 'Postgres' name. Pick one of the already valid ones instead of hack'n'slashing one to your leisure.

Comment

There is the SQL/JSON standard, but unfortunately JSON support is implemented differently in Oracle, PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server. 😥

I think Oracle is closest to the standard. PostgreSQL have JSON support, but it diverges from the standard. 😢

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  There is the SQL/JSON standard, but unfortunately JSON support is implemented differently in Oracle, PostgreSQL and Microsoft SQL Server. 😥

I think Oracle is closest to the standard. PostgreSQL have JSON support, but it diverges from the standard. 😢
                  Actually, the implementation in Postgres is going to be fully compliant. But it didn't get merged into core in v10 because of timings. It will be in v11 and it's already available for v10 through Postgres Professional repositories.

Talks started here: https://www.postgresql.org/message-i...mail.gmail.com

Current fully-compliant implementation can be pulled from here: https://github.com/postgrespro/sqljson

Comment

When PostgreSQL will be an Oracle RDBMS by all means? I heard some companies are switching, but not sure about the current status.

Comment

Working...
                    X