Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Zstd Support Coming To Linux 4.14

Phoronix: Btrfs Zstd Support Coming To Linux 4.14

Queued in the btrfs-next tree for Linux 4.14 is Zstd compression support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and my interest in ZFS just dropped to 0

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I love btrfs, but I'm curious why zstd is your defining feature? Btrfs has had two other compression formats for years now. And more importantly, zstd is NOT a compression formats that ZFS even supports.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love btrfs, but I'm curious why zstd is your defining feature? Btrfs has had two other compression formats for years now. And more importantly, zstd is NOT a compression formats that ZFS even supports.
        I agree. This is nice to have but hardly a killer feature. For me the one advantage ZFS has is encryption support. Apart from that BTRFS is just fantastic.

Comment

Will it be smart to switch to zstd from lzo? On the last topic, the performance was still not as good but I don't know if it's meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            Will it be smart to switch to zstd from lzo? On the last topic, the performance was still not as good but I don't know if it's meaningful.
            It's a very recent compression algorithm, and although I've got great hopes for it, I'd give it a few kernel cycles before even considering switching. Lzo is tried and tested

Comment

It's a very recent compression algorithm, and although I've got great hopes for it, I'd give it a few kernel cycles before even considering switching. Lzo is tried and tested
              That seems a fair plan!

Comment

In the kernel land, lzo is often pretty boring and a wrong option. For kernel/initramfs/squashfs, there are a bunch of compression options. If you want speed, pick lz4, if compression ratio, pick xz. gzip/bzip2/lzo are pretty much failures most of the time - if you need something between the two, pick gzip. Especially lzo is boring as its only marginally more efficient than lz4, but often much muchslower. zstd, otoh, provides a reasonable option as a compromise between lz4 and xz, beating the three old farts hands down. I'm hoping that btrfs adopts more of those compression formats. There already was a patch for lz4, but it didn't get accepted. I wonder why..

Comment

I heard somewhere zfs was interested in adding zstd as an option. Not sure if there's a timeline or any active work on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    I really doubt btrfs is going to magically leapfrog ZFS just by changing compression algorithm. Zfs has been consistently outdoing btrfs in almost every benchmark I've seen for many years.

Comment

Working...
                    X