Realtek ALC215 / ALC285 / ALC289 Support Coming To Linux 4.13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Well, you knew it beforehand, if you have problems with Linux none is forced to give a crap so you didn't go in with high expectations.

On Windows land, where theoretically you should get support by either MS or the device manufacturer and there are telephone numbers and emails for support.... none gives a crap anyway.

You only get stupid and useless answers from them, which is imho worse than a contract that explicitly denies any support, followed by a sober silence like you get on Linux, many times.
    On Windows there is no need for such support because everything works, unlike PCs you build yourself, laptops are prebuilt and manufacturers take care about everything working, I have never encountered a laptop where something didnt work on Windows, either out of the box or after installing a driver from the Internet, in the cases where Windows were preinstalled everything worked every time out of the box.

After using Linux for 20 years I thought basic functionality like headphone jack is now WORKING everywhere and such a trifle is no longer an issue, therefore YES I was fully expecting it to work, obviously I was wrong and Linux on the desktop is still in the "consider yourself lucky if everything works on your hardware" phase even after 26 years. Crap like this in 2017 where basic functionality is not working makes me want to switch to Mac for my home computing and use Linux only on the job, Linux desktop is in a downward spiral when it comes to quality for some time now, it keeps getting buggier and buggier in the neverending quest for "new features" and reinventing the wheel, and things like basic functionality not working and developers completely ignoring your bug report are only icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
      On Windows there is no need for such support because everything works
      You have to be kidding. Your whiny rant lost all credibility in the first sentence.

Comment

On Windows there is no need for such support because everything works.
        I laughed pretty hard when I read this, then I realized you where serious. I think what you mean to say, is for the money and loss of privacy you are giving microsoft, you expect it to "just work", and you have this delusion than MS will actually respond to your single issues about a bug in a timely manner. Ask anyone who's ran into such a problem and you'll find out very quickly this is not how it works in real life.

Hardware drivers in Windows is such a giant clusterfuck, and rarely does anything "just work", You can spend all day fiddling with the thing, and if there is an error, you'll get denials and claims of user errors. Don't even think you are going to litigate against either MS or OEMs.

Now, try getting an old laptop off the internet, and then try getting drivers for windows working vs drivers for windows after a fresh re-install. This includes tracking down and installing OEM drivers is a giant PITA. Oh yeah, Linux has most of the drivers baked into the kernel and they just work, and far better hardware support.

Sure there are issues, but there are issues with both windows and linux, and I've personally found Windows to be lacking.

Comment

I got audio issues too, my laptop when used through the audio jack only works half of the stereo output, it is not mono audio, only one side of the stereo emits sound.

dmesg of it:

snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: CX20757: BIOS auto-probing.
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: autoconfig for CX20757: line_outs=1 (0x17/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: hp_outs=1 (0x16/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: mono: mono_out=0x0
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: inputs:
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: Internal Mic=0x1a
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: Mic=0x19
          snd_hda_codec_conexant hdaudioC0D0: Enable sync_write for stable communication

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Meanwhile Dell's tablet support in rt286 driver is still not fixed and nobody answer: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=150601
            To be fair dev's don't have endless supplies of hardware to test with. I doubt they will help but I'd bug Dell about it. They do provide linux support for other hardware so who knows maybe they can point you to someone who could help.

Comment

Headphone jack is not working on my laptop, also submitted a bug report on bugzilla.kernel.org, NO ANSWER for months.
              If you have such means, try switching in BIOS 3,5mm Jack I/O from HD to AC97 mode. That removes reliance on software-controlled switching.

Comment

Who do I talk to to get this fixed: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195049 (laptop speakers don't work, subwoofer does though)

I'm not sure if Realtek on Windows is doing anything else to get the audio working on this laptop, but changing those 3 verbs activate the speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

Hardware drivers in Windows is such a giant clusterfuck, and rarely does anything "just work", You can spend all day fiddling with the thing, and if there is an error, you'll get denials and claims of user errors. Don't even think you are going to litigate against either MS or OEMs.

You are the one living under a rock. In Windows, there is always a vendor driver for any hardware ever released. All that needs to be done is to download it from the manufacturer's site, double-click the EXE and it's all done.

And don't get me started on WIndows' legendary ABI compatibility as well. I have installed Vista-era drivers on Windows 10 and guess what? My hardware works. Better than Linux where an out-of-tree module for kernel v4.5 won't even work on v4.7

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
                  Now, try getting an old laptop off the internet, and then try getting drivers for windows working vs drivers for windows after a fresh re-install. This includes tracking down and installing OEM drivers is a giant PITA. Oh yeah, Linux has most of the drivers baked into the kernel and they just work, and far better hardware support.
                  I have done just that on a 10-year-old Acer notebook with CrossFire and a Broadcom wifi card on Windows 10. The latest version of the kernel and the most up to date distributions can't even get those two most important components running after 10 years.

Comment

On Windows there is no need for such support because everything works,
                    As long as you keep everything frozen at the time the hardware came out. Later... heh.

And I work in tech support so lulz I know what I'm talking about.

After using Linux for 20 years I thought basic functionality like headphone jack is now WORKING everywhere and such a trifle is no longer an issue, therefore YES I was fully expecting it to work, obviously I was wrong and Linux on the desktop is still in the "consider yourself lucky if everything works on your hardware" phase even after 26 years. Crap like this in 2017 where basic functionality is not working makes me want to switch to Mac for my home computing and use Linux only on the job, Linux desktop is in a downward spiral when it comes to quality for some time now, it keeps getting buggier and buggier in the neverending quest for "new features" and reinventing the wheel, and things like basic functionality not working and developers completely ignoring your bug report are only icing on the cake.
                    FYI: people making hardware support is usually the only ones that have access to full docs, which means usually developers employed by hardware manufacturer. If they don't provide a decent driver for Linux nor decent documentation to fix up their shit it's their own fault, not of Linux community as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      You are the one living under a rock. In Windows, there is always a vendor driver for any hardware ever released. All that needs to be done is to download it from the manufacturer's site, double-click the EXE and it's all done.
                      Umm, yeah sure.

I have done just that on a 10-year-old Acer notebook with CrossFire and a Broadcom wifi card on Windows 10. The latest version of the kernel and the most up to date distributions can't even get those two most important components running after 10 years.
                      When will people stop bashing Linux when the issue is that the hardware manufactuers don't either make the driver, don't mainline it nor publish enough docs to do so?

I mean are you all stupid and think that flower power will create a driver out of thin air because Stallman rocks or something?

Comment

Working...
                      X