No announcement yet.

SERDEV "Serial Device Bus" Added To Linux 4.11 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is going to have painful repercussions for a decade or more... I can't wait to explain it to all the people not in the know.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

This is ports related not terminal related. In other words new ways to handle serially interfaced hardware. I don't see a problem really.
      We were responding to this comment...

Is TTY still on schedule to be dropped from the kernel?

Why doesn't anyone implement a TTY/console/terminal/VT as a Wayland compositor that runs in userspace?
      Setup a OpenGL context that renders text and use libinput to get input and then run a user-specified shell such as Bash.
      ...which is a valid concern because it's been proposed at least twice and, as far as I remember, it was a lack of contributor time/willpower that stopped it before, not an objection to the design.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        News says: "new way to operate devices attached to UART (serial) ports on a SoC"

People's reaction: "if they remove serial I'm switching to HURD, Systemd is bad"
        At least nobody made a comment to implement microcode with rustlang.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          ...which is a valid concern because it's been proposed at least twice and, as far as I remember, it was a lack of contributor time/willpower that stopped it before, not an objection to the design.
          What has been proposed for console was to make a DRI driver to replace framebuffer, then run console on that instead than on framebuffer.

It is a few dozens of miles distant from "a TTY/console/terminal/VT as a Wayland compositor running in userspace" (which is basically what is Xorg in text mode, although it is not a wayland-based compositor of course).
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 26 February 2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X