No announcement yet.

HDMI CEC Promoted Out Of Staging For Linux 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this hookable into current graphic drivers? Like r600, nouveau?

Comment

> Is this hookable into current graphic drivers? Like r600, nouveau?

No. The hardware support isn't there. You'll need to buy https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter , but this is only supported by a userspace driver (because it exposes only /dev/ttyACM0 )

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I mean in the kernel - I know most consumer devices have it - i.e. can I control a TV or sound system plugged into my PC yet, or is this just the infrastructure with no users yet
        Umm, how do you think consumer devices can use it, again? These devices have Linux Inside.

The support for that depends from the GPU driver, or (for embedded) the display controller that is physically operating the HDMI port. On Linux Desktop most drivers don't support it. Raspi drivers should support it.

Comment

I don't now if is the same thing, but the last time I tested XBMC a couple years ago in a Raspberry Pi (the first one), the remote of a Sony TV was fully recognized and I could navigate and use almost all buttons of the remote on the XBMC UI.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            General rule of thumb, report bugs the more upstream as possible.

In your case, you should try with another distro too to make sure it isn't a Debian-only issue, and if there is the same problem you can go in bugtracker or mailing list of Linux TV https://www.linuxtv.org/ as they are the ones writing the drivers for TV cards on Linux.
            [url=https://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo]Which one of them?[/quote] Actually, it's quite confusing:

List Description
            linuxtv-commits Notifies about commits on master LinuxTV repositories (v4l-dvb and dvb-apps)
            linuxtv-cvs commit mails from linuxtv.org CVS
            media-workshop Mailing list for media workshop related discussions
            V4L2-library Temporary Mailing list for discussing V4L2 Userspace library
            vdr VDR Mailing List

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Which one of them? Actually, it's quite confusing

"Currently, the main development mailing list is hosted at vger.kernel.org. To subscribe, just send an email to [email protected], with the body of the email containing subscribe linux-media. You may just click here to ask your mailer for generating such email."

/edit:
              Just in case you miss it : [email protected]
              Last edited by droste; 16 December 2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                I don't now if is the same thing, but the last time I tested XBMC a couple years ago in a Raspberry Pi (the first one), the remote of a Sony TV was fully recognized and I could navigate and use almost all buttons of the remote on the XBMC UI.
                Yeah it is.

Comment

Does Raspberry already use this new CEC framework? What end user applications support it?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I'm half sure that Sony also managed to make it work only for other Sony products.
                    By some un-explainable miracle : No. SONY TVs won't refuse to work with any other HDMI-CEC.

Personal experience : my parent use a Sony Bravia flat LCD panel, and use a Panasonic HD / DVD recorder, and both devices talk to each other.
                    (e.g.: You can control which ever device happens to be in focus with whatever remote control you happen to have at hand)

I'm sure some engineer at SONY is going to get sacked for having forgotten to put the usual limitations in place.

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Other than that, it hasn't seen much adoption.
                    I think Raspberry Pi actually support CEC on their HDMI port. (without needing a separate USB-CEC dongle like normal desktop GPU).
                    And I seem to remember that Kodi supports it (but my memory might be failing me).

Comment

I wanted to automatically turn on my TV from a Intel Compute Stick, and was quite surprised and annoyed when I found that Intel has not implemented HDMI-CEC in _any_ of their graphics solutions: https://communities.intel.com/message/386488#386488

Comment

Working...
                      X