No announcement yet.

Solus Linux Making Performance Gains With Its BLAS Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm.. try solus with Mate then. Budgie in some way is still gnome-shell like wm, and lot of apps is 100% GNOME or GNOME-like. I've used​​​​​​ gnome-shell sinice 2.9.x and like it, but can understand your pov.

Comment

Originally posted by mattia.b89 View Post
      Where can we find configuration changes?
      So we can try them out on our current system, too...
      From the link at OpenBenchmarking.org:
      Compiler Details:
      Code:
      [B]- relink blas: [/B]--build=x86_64-solus-linux --disable-gold --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran --enable-ld=default --enable-lto --enable-multilib --enable-plugin --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --target=x86_64-solus-linux --with-arch_32=i686 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post

The handful of people behind this distro have done what Linux Mint has been trying to do for years, with far more efficiency, thanks to GNOME. They build on top of the underlying tech (which they let the GNOME devs sort out), focusing on the UI and, as demonstrated by this article, performance. They don't create extra work for themselves by forking everything under the desktop sun (Mint) or duplicating work done by other projects just to say, "I have mine as well" (Ubuntu).
        Leave Mint alone. Cinnamon's got the best UI of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post

Leave Mint alone. Cinnamon's got the best UI of all.
          With a fraction of the manpower behind it, that claim is contested by Budgie's UI. However, that's besides the point I was trying to make; I said nothing about Mint's UI.

My point is that, because the Solus dev team is taking advantage of GNOME's tech rather than tear themselves apart trying to duplicate the work done on said tech (such as what Mint did and keeps doing) the Solus dev team can actually focus their efforts on just improving Budgie's UI and user experience instead of doing that and attempt to maintain tech forked from GNOME with a fraction of the GNOME dev team.

For example, Mint would need to implement Wayland support for Muffin themselves in order to get it (explains why the dev team doesn't wanna do it). Instead of duplicating GNOME's work, Solus inherits Wayland support from upstream libmutter and can instead focus the effort that would've been wasted on re-implementing Wayland support into improving Budgie's UI.

The handful of Solus devs can work more efficiently and move faster than Linux Mint devs because there's less weight on their backs.

Comment

Working...
          X