Mozilla's Project Mortar Wants Pepper API Flash & PDFium In Firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

Michael turned it off, but he can still have it, all he needs to do is Time Limmit Editing a post like they do over on Neowin forum, you got about 5min or 10 min untill you can edit a post then you have to make a complete new post,
    We used to have time-limited editing, so I'm sure he thought about that when he said that he turned it off because editing bypasses the spam filter and that was getting exploited by spambots.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

We used to have time-limited editing, so I'm sure he thought about that when he said that he turned it off because editing bypasses the spam filter and that was getting exploited by spambots.
      still not gonna stop spammers spamming a forum or in one whether there disabled or not

Comment

The only proper place for Flash is the graveyard.
        I am already deactivating it by default. The most important sites like Youtube, Vimeo, Twitch, Dailymotion support HTML5- players while the rest of the sites just cover redundant info where it's always possible to find a source with HTML5- video.
        So every effort for this is a waste of resources and will keep it longer alive. I appeal to any developer in the world: Don't let all these people suffer any longer! Kill Flash by not supporting it anymore!

When it comes to PDF I don't know if it will be better than the current solution but I trust those who decided for the other plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
          The only proper place for Flash is the graveyard.
          I am already deactivating it by default. The most important sites like Youtube, Vimeo, Twitch, Dailymotion support HTML5- players while the rest of the sites just cover redundant info where it's always possible to find a source with HTML5- video.
          So every effort for this is a waste of resources and will keep it longer alive. I appeal to any developer in the world: Don't let all these people suffer any longer! Kill Flash by not supporting it anymore!

When it comes to PDF I don't know if it will be better than the current solution but I trust those who decided for the other plugin.
          a lot of sites and games use flash (legacy and new games) is better to have it to use everything without problems untill it becomes complety dead, another example is silverlight, some services still use it

Comment

[QUOTE=plasmasnake;n901811]
            Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            I can understand the PPAPI Flash, but is PDFium so much better than PDF.js that we need an entire team and months of work to import it into Firefox? There's a cost vs benefit argument to be had there, vs just "yeah, but it's like 4% faster so we need it" y'know?/QUOTE]
            Actually yes... Firefox's pdf.js is complete garbage. It's ridiculously slow, especially with graphics-heavy brochures - you literally have to sit there and watch each layer be rendered over each other, as if you're using a computer from 1992. Also, text looks horrible (do they not do antialiasing or what?) and if you print the document the text looks like crap (blurry) too, unless they fixed that recently (it's been a while since I've tried printing a PDF from Firefox, since I just use an external viewer for that now).

Seriously, pdf.js is the worst PDF viewer I have EVER used. It blows my mind that the Mozilla folks ever let that happen.
            Yes! pdf.js is a giant pile of crap. I hate it. It can't render embedded fonts so everything looks ugly as hell and it's also the laggiest thing I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

a lot of sites and games use flash (legacy and new games) is better to have it to use everything without problems untill it becomes complety dead, another example is silverlight, some services still use it
              If main browsers stop supporting it completely, those websites will either be forced to use some other technology, or become less relevant. Either way, flash could be even less important than now.

Games: They can be played with standalone flash player, if someone really really wants to.
              Silverlight: A closed platform only available on certain platforms. Pretty much no 3rd party services rely on it entirely.

Comment

100% agree! That's entirely the same that I thought.

Comment

I don't want PPAPI in Firefox, I want Flash dead, buried, cremated and blown into outer space.

Comment

They have had very good reasons for not implementing PPAPI in Firefox: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=729481

I doubt that this has changed.

Comment

RESOLVED (nobody) in Core Graveyard - Plug-ins. Last updated 2022-05-16.

Comment

Working...
                      X