Polychromatic Provides A Nice UI To Razer Keyboards/Mice On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No, it's not. Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, but you need to read that thread a bit, or at least the linked posts (I did select them for a reason).

Are you seriously going to use a software that prints as error message
    "*** Eina Magic Check Failed !!!\n"
    " Input handle has already been freed!\n"
    "*** NAUGHTY PROGRAMMER!!!\n"
    "*** SPANK SPANK SPANK!!!\n"
    "*** Now go fix your code. Tut tut tut!\n"

or
    "BITCH! evas_object_stack_below(), %p not inside same smart as %p!"
    (the %p being variables in case it wasn't obvious)

I mean the latter does quite a bit look like it's calling me bitch.

Did you notice (in the linked post) how the lead developer claimed there were no "you bitch" in the code while another guy pointed out that the lead developer had aptly removed them with a commit happened at a very suspicious moment? (changing the BITCH! into a COMPLAIN!)
    Then they go on flaming him for this move.

Meanwhile and also before the posts I singled out other people in the thread pull other bits from the sources (or the documentation) and comment on them. It's bad, bad stuff.
    I do find those prints rather amusing than offending. If you get offended by the "Bitch", then think for a second that the same print would get everyone, including the author.

And yes, I noticed the removal of a print to say that OP is wrong, and I do agree it was a big mistake. If he wouldn't, perhaps he could prove to the crowd that technical part of the post is mostly a lie. But one misstep strikes over the merits.

Comment

starshipeleven btw, I also noticed Rasterman's move in the discussion when he said that "SWALLOW" rather refers to FVWM, and I found it funny. Besides smart move, it is being a reference to widely used BFD library (I.e. look at the abbreviation history).

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
        I do find those prints rather amusing than offending. If you get offended by the "Bitch", then think for a second that the same print would get everyone, including the author.
        Sorry, but error messages need to be useful, unambiguous and also NOT have any risk of upsetting people, especially female people. Because there are also female people out there and we don't want to send them away because we act like 15yo idiots.
        Running around shouting "BITCH!" or "SPANK SPANK SPANK!" or "YOU NAUGHTY!" is going to attract unwanted attention in real life too.

Btw, that stuff was added long time before by him, it's not even something added by third parties https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/503105

And yes, I noticed the removal of a print to say that OP is wrong, and I do agree it was a big mistake. If he wouldn't, perhaps he could prove to the crowd that technical part of the post is mostly a lie. But one misstep strikes over the merits.
        He acted like a troll in both the post and source, in his answer he posted links to docs that don't explain shit https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/502865 , and did dirty tactics like changing the code then claiming innocence.
        Sure something in the OP was wrong (maybe, I can't know), but the docs suck and are behind some weird linkings (and I read them too), so it's ok that he may not have known that.

"SWALLOW" rather refers to FVWM, and I found it funny.
        Still unprofessional naming. Sorry man this isn't self-contained weekend project that most people won't even see in non-binary form, but a library supposed to be used to make stuff.

Comment

Honestly the whole thing is just unprofessional. I mean, I can love little jokes here and there, but this shit shows the maturity of Mr. Haitzler

Comment

Sorry, but error messages need to be useful, unambiguous and also NOT have any risk of upsetting people, especially female people.
            As I understood from the Rasterman's explanation, the particular messages couldn't be more useful, otherwise they would sound just "There was an error:".
            Because there are also female people out there and we don't want to send them away because we act like 15yo idiots.
            Running around shouting "BITCH!" or "SPANK SPANK SPANK!" or "YOU NAUGHTY!" is going to attract unwanted attention in real life too.
            I don't think the comparison with real life is honest, one wouldn't "play GTA" with real guns and cars too. Different environment, situation.

And I don't see why would female react different to the jokes. Every girl I know — except for a single, pretty unusual though, person — are vulgar enough to get and have a fun of such a joke, even those looking shy on the first thought.
            He acted like a troll in both the post and source, in his answer he posted links to docs that don't explain shit https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/502865 , and did dirty tactics like changing the code then claiming innocence.
            Sure something in the OP was wrong (maybe, I can't know), but the docs suck and are behind some weird linkings (and I read them too), so it's ok that he may not have known that.
            Well… =(
            Still unprofessional naming. Sorry man this isn't self-contained weekend project that most people won't even see in non-binary form, but a library supposed to be used to make stuff.
            I'd argue that wast number of projects in use having unprofessional naming. E.g. "WINE Is Not Emulator" — does it say about the project anything except that… err… a wine isn't an emulator?

Such an abuse of names is a mainstream. And for a reason: an abbreviation in memory would quickly degrade to a set of random letters (unless it is looking funny enough for memory to get excited; btw this is a known trick for mnemonics).

Comment

As I understood from the Rasterman's explanation, the particular messages couldn't be more useful, otherwise they would sound just "There was an error:".
              Which is how most error messages usually are in the mature developer world.

There is also a good reason for this. Most developers are going to see the error many many many many times while developing and debugging.

So whatever fun factor it might have is lost quickly, any fluff text is wasted space on my screen that I never read again. I'd personally also get mildly annoyed by getting mocked by that.

I don't think the comparison with real life is honest, one wouldn't "play GTA" with real guns and cars too. Different environment, situation.
              As I said, this is a library supposed to be used by real people at work to make real DEs in real devices. So yes, what you can do in GTA does not apply here.

And I don't see why would female react different to the jokes.
              This is your own problem.

Every girl I know
              Irrelevant, it's the ones you don't know that you can't be sure of. Maybe you live in a hell-hole with she-mans that are more manly than you that like drinking beer and farting together (hypothetical and exaggerated situation for fun factor, not aimed at you), you cannot assume everyone else is like this.

I'd argue that wast number of projects in use having unprofessional naming. E.g. "WINE Is Not Emulator" — does it say about the project anything except that… err… a wine isn't an emulator?
              That's the project name. Project name can be whatever is not NSFW.
              SWALLOW is a name of an internal api or function or whatever. Names of internal things are usually expected to have names that make sense or that hint at their function.

Comment

Irrelevant, it's the ones you don't know that you can't be sure of. Maybe you live in a hell-hole with she-mans that are more manly than you that like drinking beer and farting together (hypothetical and exaggerated situation for fun factor, not aimed at you), you cannot assume everyone else is like this.
                Then neither you can be sure. And the sentence…
                This is your own problem.
                …makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Then neither you can be sure.
                  Which is why makes sense to avoid the risk alltogether, which is what I've been saying since start.

And the sentence…makes no sense whatsoever.
                  You are telling me that you don't see how placing offensive talk somewhere could potentially offend or annoy people. If you can't grasp that on your own it's highly likely any explanation will also fail.

Comment

Which is why makes sense to avoid the risk alltogether, which is what I've been saying since start.
                    Well… Fair enough.
                    You are telling me that you don't see how placing offensive talk somewhere could potentially offend or annoy people. If you can't grasp that on your own it's highly likely any explanation will also fail.
                    I didn't tell that. I told that I see nothing offensive, and even justified the "bitch" print.

Comment

Originally posted by NeighborhoodButcher
                      a C programmer who “doesn’t like the notion of ‘type’ in programming”
                      raster please, I'm asking you, pleeease, read some funny articles about Haskell, you'll find many interesting and useful. *Don't use Haskell*, screw those stupid mathematicians, whatever you'll find is applicable in any language. E.g. take these for starters:

Combine a strong type system with Property-Based Testing to specify software.

We improve the lives of professional developers. We create timely, practical books on classic and cutting-edge topics to help you learn and practice your craft, and accelerate your career. Come learn with us.

Comment

Working...
                      X