GNU Linux-libre 4.7-gnu Deblobs More Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    No it is not, as the fab is just printing the design verbatim, and the patents are linked only to the "transferring the design verbatim to the hardware". You can go to any fab and it will work the same.

Compilers do quite a long list of optimizations and tweaks and things requiring heuristics to your code just to compile it at all, if you change compiler things can (and do) change.

If you like to attach yourself to stupid shit, we can also say that the open compilers compiling opensource software must off-load the work to CPU firmware which is closed in any CPU you would like to use for compilation, so there is lots of encumberance there too, and it's not truly open.

And it gets worse, since such firmwares are dealing again with optimizations and heuristics to turn the ISA instructions into something that the actual hardware can execute, they can and do fuck with your code, while a fab printing things does not.
    You talk like it's wrong, but actually you're getting closer to the truth.

Comment

Hmmm, Secure Boot as an option, so I guess no UEFI (not opensource), which I think is good.

While the spec supports high speed interfaces, both boards are quite minimal though.

I definitely would like to see an open server board with gigabit NIC, a PCIE slot (4 or 8), and 3 or more SATA/SAS interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        You talk like it's wrong, but actually you're getting closer to the truth.
        The truth being that there is no true opensource software too? I call that "complete bs definitions".

Comment

The truth being that there is no true opensource software too? I call that "complete bs definitions".
          At minimum there is no such thing as libre software. Open source, yeah, of course. Just because something open source does not make it libre. The only way to get there is to control the entire stack, from hardware design to fabrication to source code to binary execution.

Last edited by duby229; 25 July 2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            At minimum there is no such thing as libre software. Open source, yeah, of course.
            Yeah, cool, that's your own opinion tho.

Comment

Originally posted by ossuser View Post
              Hmmm, Secure Boot as an option, so I guess no UEFI (not opensource), which I think is good.

While the spec supports high speed interfaces, both boards are quite minimal though.

I definitely would like to see an open server board with gigabit NIC, a PCIE slot (4 or 8), and 3 or more SATA/SAS interfaces.
              The boards in that article are FPGAs emulating the SoC for development purposes (if you want to debug drivers for hardware that does not exist yet, for example), not the real hardware (ASIC).

When they start production I really hope someone makes a decent board with it.

Comment

The boards in that article are FPGAs emulating the SoC for development purposes (if you want to debug drivers for hardware that does not exist yet, for example), not the real hardware (ASIC).

When they start production I really hope someone makes a decent board with it.
                Ah, didn't realize that, thanks, that explains it.

It's funny though, we 're still waiting for ARM based server/workstation boards.
                I also still haven't seen the AMD A1100 based boards, where are they ?

Comment

what are you guys talking
                  1. there is one libreboot supported laptop (arm) that of course also supports libreboot.
                  2. on my thinkpad x220 libreboot works without problems, not shure if I installed it right under fedora but it seem to work (maybe there was some firmware blobs still installed not shure. without any disadvantage everything works perfektly fine.
                  3. you could install it and install this new intel gpu blobs, just cause its pulled out, doesnt mean you cant link to it again. You could question whats then the point, its the opposite of advertising blobs, making you agree against this companies that violate your freedom and hurting you. And also educational aspect, learn which blobs you need, from which company if you can choose never again buy anything.

So there is a big point in doing that.

4. as developer only develop or bugreport to bugs to distros that are focused on gnu-supported distros, like guixSD as example. So when the best developers develop for such distros, they get more popular, then more other users start to send mails to companies that their hardware does not work on this very popular distro, why arent you supporting it?

Thats how linux got more drivers, most companies hated and hate linux, tehy love to have this windows and macos prisons where they can rape their users even more. but the demand on linux drivers did raise. I dont see why that could not happen for linux-libre linuxfork. Linux with maybe chromeos or android will be the new windows at some point.

5. people like the scholl siblings, did stuff that had ZERO chance to change anything, and they paid even with their live with it, so doing the right thing, is not always a question about having sucess for shure but doing the right thing.

(I dont want to say its the same horrible thing that they are doing, but its at least comparable to Stasi in ddr, so resistance is a good thing.

And to say its not worth anythnig, till not all parts come together is also a not valid argument, you have to start somewhere.

Comment

It's called Open Hardware. RISC-V is seeing its first runs on silicon. http://hackerboards.com/first-socs-b...c-v-run-linux/

RISC-V is backed by Google, Oracle and HP, among others. http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1328561
                    A that benevolent bunch of commie do-gooders... Somehow that list of names doesn't fill me with confidence.

Comment

I bought a ThinkPad X60 the other day from a friend who recently upgraded. Running Linux-libre and GuixSD quite nicely (aside from an over-heating issue common to the X60 series which I'll have to look into). Runs LibreBoot too, and the Wifi has been replaced with an Atheros chipset so everything seems to work perfectly without adding any blobs - or at least as far as I can tell so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X