It Looks Like Systemd 231 Will Soon Be Released, Adds MemoryDenyWriteExecute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

That's a silly assumption. People can run a 32b distro even on 64b hardware if the machine has less than 6GB of RAM since 32b apps use less memory. There aren't that many cases where you get any benefit from 64b. Imagine 4GB RAM, 3,5GB free for user space. Now the limit for a process is 3GB on 32b and more on 64b. If you don't swap heavily, you only get 500MB more memory per process. However the desktop uses 500M so in practice there is no difference.
    PAE really really sucks. The biggest single reason to go 64-bit is exactly because of physical address space. Your virtual address space needs to bea multiple of the physical one: when you hit 1GB …

Comment

love how people ignore ARM and other architectures that systemd runs on.

Comment

That's a silly assumption. People can run a 32b distro even on 64b hardware if the machine has less than 6GB of RAM since 32b apps use less memory.
        True on windows because their silly 32bit compatibility layer burns 300-400 MB of RAM or so, not that true on linux.

Imagine 4GB RAM, 3,5GB free for user space.
        on 32bits system you would have only 3.5-3.6 GB available FOR THE OS (the rest is "reserved for the hardware"), so unless you allocate 512mb to the iGPU or something like that (nonsense on most of sucn old hardware if doable at all) you are wasting 512mb of ram or so.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          You can thank Intel for that. Every 64bit AMD processor does.
          You are a moron as usual. Low-end AMD cpus from 2004 don't have NX just as Intel's.
          http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD...A2400BOX).html

YES AMD WAS FUSING OFF STUFF WHEN THEIR PROCESSORS WERE STILL COMPETITIVE!!!!! Big revelation. Companies want to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            What? you mean all of those Pentium 3s and earlier?
            I think he MIGHT be talking of non-x86 land. ARM, MIPS, that kind of thing.
            I don't know if they have an equivalent (I suspect ARM does).

Comment

Also, still no systemd hater on sight.

Comment

No, you don't need PAE if you have 4 GB of RAM. PAE is useful only for 4-64 GB. If you have exactly 4 GB and a 64-bit capable CPU, the options are (from best to worst): x32, x86 (no PAE), x86 (PAE), x86-64. Also you could have a 64-bit kernel and a 100% 32-bit user space. There are plenty of options, it's not just black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  True on windows because their silly 32bit compatibility layer burns 300-400 MB of RAM or so, not that true on linux.
                  64 bit apps use more RAM on Linux. It's a fact. The pointers, alignment all add to memory use. Normal C code that uses types like 'int' for normal variables also doubles in size. OTOH, x84-64 doesn't improve the density of the instruction set that much. So overall you lose RAM. It's easy to verify. Just download a live image of some distro with both 32 and 64 bit userland and compare.

on 32bits system you would have only 3.5-3.6 GB available FOR THE OS (the rest is "reserved for the hardware"), so unless you allocate 512mb to the iGPU or something like that (nonsense on most of sucn old hardware if doable at all) you are wasting 512mb of ram or so.
                  On my 32b desktop with 4 GB of RAM, the command 'free' shows 3,7GB in total. It does use dedicated AGP graphics with its own RAM chips onboard. If I start up LXDE, the free RAM is around 3,5 GB.

Comment

64 bit apps use more RAM on Linux. It's a fact.
                    I never noticed any substantial difference in normal use.

The pointers, alignment all add to memory use. Normal C code that uses types like 'int' for normal variables also doubles in size. OTOH, x84-64 doesn't improve the density of the instruction set that much. So overall you lose RAM. It's easy to verify. Just download a live image of some distro with both 32 and 64 bit userland and compare.
                    Yeah, I've done that back then with my 2GB netbook and it was not noticeable. That's why I'm talking to you.

On my 32b desktop with 4 GB of RAM, the command 'free' shows 3,7GB in total. It does use dedicated AGP graphics with its own RAM chips onboard. If I start up LXDE, the free RAM is around 3,5 GB.
                    Yeah, the amount of wasted ram is hardware-dependent, you can go as much as 3.8 GB usable if you're lucky with the board. The dedicated GPU is not relevant, as that space is simply not available for the OS, you can use it for integrated GPU or just waste it.

Still, in that system there is around 300 mb wasted by the 32bit limitations. I never saw 64bit use relevant amounts of memory more than 32bits so going to 64bits there will net you say 200 mb or even more.

If you were on a 3GB or less PC, then I'd agree, it would add something but it's much less than what you imagine.

I routinely run 2GB systems with MATE and 64bit systems, and they are perfectly fine office PCs just like they always have been. No swap space used ever.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      You are a moron as usual. Low-end AMD cpus from 2004 don't have NX just as Intel's.
                      http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD...A2400BOX).html

YES AMD WAS FUSING OFF STUFF WHEN THEIR PROCESSORS WERE STILL COMPETITIVE!!!!! Big revelation. Companies want to make money.
                      Those Semprons are 32bit Thoroughbreds dumbass. Those ones arent 64bit..

Comment

Working...
                      X