Systemd Continued Commanding Linux Systems In 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkor View Post
    But please don't repeat that here as it is bullshit.
    Sorry I must be mistaken. I seriously thought that this was a Forum, where people could speak up their mind.

Comment

Originally posted by freedom View Post
      It is hated because it is hard to avoid
      so is linux kernel. so what?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        ... or you could simply use your favourite editor and load the logs ...
        ...until you trying to load gzipped log, quickly learning huffman trees aren't human readable. Or just eventually trying to open 2Gb sized log from busy server. Sure, most editors are choking like mad if you try to open 2Gb of "text".

Logs to computers are what flight recorders to aircraft. Logs are not meant to be edited. If event takes place and logged, it is logged. Editing it is wrong and only gives room to h4x0rz to hide traces of break-in. Generations of h4x0rz were learning to clean up logs. Let's make it a bit less convenient. Now ... at most, "flight recorder" can be utterly destroyed. Sparking investigation.

Furthermore, search via indexed log is much better idea. And it also takes care of disk space in logical, elegant ways. Not anyhow close to gzipping logs, HUPing services to release files and so on. Journald makes it far more logical overall.

but also because of the huge binary blobs it's creating.
        And on other hand they are indexed, so we can have less of moronic grepping 2Gb log files just to discard almost all records by grep. Wasting plenty of time on thrashing. Yet if one needs it, journalctl can pipe text into your program not anyhow worse than cat does it for text files. And then logs are also somewhat protected from tampering. So no smartass can launch their favorite editor and edit events. You can't change history. Either event takes place, or not. Just trashing out "inconvenient" records? No way, it is nice at least someone bothered self to make it harder.

Simply accept the fact that there are things in a persons life,
        And it is about something more similar to religion or personal preferences rather than about something rational and technically valid.

Over long or short every competitor software has gotten it's feet cut by this. But please don't get me started here.
        BS. E.g. openwrt got their own path, with no systemd and no udev, since both are a bit too large for their devices in first places. So they reinvented the wheel, making something like shrinked down version of similar ideas, though implementation is quite different.

At the end of day, it is technically hard to point gun on you and demand you to use whatever OS, kernel and init you do not want to. It is really hard to ensure you do not use something else. And if maintainers decided to go this way, that's really up to them. Who are you to aggressively demand something from maintainers? And why they should listen to these demands, in first place? Systemd offloads them from heck a lot of burden. For the very same reason, I'm quite happy about systemd. It is better than upstart and much more pleasant to deal with compared to venerable sysv init. Which always had plenty of bugs in scripts, nobody cared of return codes, errors, logging, timeouts, restarting services, ... - overall, sysv init scripts could be described as a smouldering wreck, nobody dared to take on seriously fixing this garbage. It it really nice I do not have to deal with bugged shit which ignores program return codes & all kinds of errors, fails to write to system log (furthermore it can happen syslog isn't started yet, lol, and nobody gives a fuck, just logging to /dev/null). Somehow, systemd is much better in system-related tasks. Service failed? Ok, it marked as such and log entry created with failure data. Including return code and program output. That's how system management should be. Sysv init never managed to be like this...
        Last edited by SystemCrasher; 30 December 2015, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          journalctl is indeed storing in a binary format that could be a problem
          all databases are storing in a binary format
          all filesystems are storing in a binary format
          where is veteran unix admins sect?
          Originally posted by Creak View Post
          Here is one article I've found about systemd controversy: http://blog.erratasec.com/2015/08/ab...ntroversy.html
          shitpost from some misinformed imbecile
          Last edited by pal666; 30 December 2015, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
            however at times i do believe that it is trying to be much more than it should be. like they built in some networking stuff like dhcp client etc. Thing is all of RedHat's revenue comes from server market, with the increasing adoption of containers and cloud, they want to "streamline" stuff as much as possible.
            networkd was created by arch developer. networkmanager on the other hand was created by redhat. it is funny how much shit people are eating in general and around systemd in particular

Comment

Why all this anger against people that doesn't like systemd and why always this attack mode against them?
              Do we really need systemd to "rule" every linux system out there?

Comment

The first thing I ended up is removing the contents of the journal log directory, because it only wastes spaces on my system. The content is usually useless, unreadable and no value at all for either an administrator nor normal user.
                everything is unreadable to uneducated, it is not something to brag about

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  Why all this anger against people that doesn't like systemd and why always this attack mode against them?
                  why those uneducated imbeciles attack progress?

Comment

... or you could simply use your favourite editor and load the logs ...
                    do you load databases in your favorite editor, imbecile?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      why those uneducated imbeciles attack progress?
                      Not everyone sees it that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X