No announcement yet.

Systemd Introduces Its Own "su" Like Command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I want a root session, i use `sudo -i`. Unlike `su`, it does a proper root login and is in no way (technically or practically) different from actually logging in as root. I don't know why I haven't seen more people use that command. It has always worked perfectly for absolutely anything I would want a full root session for.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Because there is a lot of broken concepts in the Linux world.
      Owww, I didn't mean to make a joke. I just wanted to know what's wrong with su/sudo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dharc View Post

innovation from him? kind a joke. lol.
        just reinventing the wheel to look like he is important. look, he does not present any argument why su is deprecated. just said ""su" is really a broken concept."
        Gnu su is a broken concept that doesn't respect groups. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by Palewolf View Post
          And what was wrong with "su -"? As far as i know it does exactly the same.

RTFM noob.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
            When I want a root session, i use `sudo -i`. Unlike `su`, it does a proper root login and is in no way (technically or practically) different from actually logging in as root. I don't know why I haven't seen more people use that command. It has always worked perfectly for absolutely anything I would want a full root session for.
            Exactly my thoughts

Comment

Soooo instead of making a patch for su that will add an option to load session without inheriting anything they decided to simply code a new stuff, cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                Definitely, so much in fact that I put in .bashrc:
                Code:
                alias beroot="sudo -i"
                The main difference I know of is that the user (the sudoer) provides their own password instead of the root password, which simplifies things.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post

If something has issues then it should be criticized, it is the only way things ever get better. Think how bad the Linux kernel would be if you weren't allowed to report bugs or criticize it.

Also calling everyone who has a different opinion to you a troll makes you look stupid.
                  so he crtitisized trolls, because trolls have issues. trolling makes you look stupid

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
                    Just the arrogance of some of the people involved in developing it.
                    don't develop it then

Comment

Originally posted by Palewolf View Post
                      And what was wrong with "su -"? As far as i know it does exactly the same.
                      it only does
                      o clears all the environment variables except TERM

o initializes the environment variables HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, and PATH

o changes to the target user's home directory

o sets argv[0] of the shell to '-' in order to make the shell a login shell
                      see, no mention of XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Comment

Working...
                      X