Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.2-rc7 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.2-rc7 Kernel Released

The Linux 4.2-rc7 kernel is now available, but it's undecided yet if Linux 4.2 will be officially released next week...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2-rc7-Released

I cannot help but agree with Torvalds there -- 4.2 is not quite there yet. Personally, I've been getting random complete deadlocks/hangups with 4.2 that completely disappear when running 3.19.8. Can't wait for 4.2 to be stable though, I have seen it perform really well when it's not randomly seizing up for me.

Comment

yes please god make sure the assembly rewrites are solid

Comment

Originally posted by F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy View Post
        I cannot help but agree with Torvalds there -- 4.2 is not quite there yet. Personally, I've been getting random complete deadlocks/hangups with 4.2 that completely disappear when running 3.19.8. Can't wait for 4.2 to be stable though, I have seen it perform really well when it's not randomly seizing up for me.
        Which leaves the question, is there a bug report about it? Or die you think someone will be fixing anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
          Which leaves the question, is there a bug report about it? Or die you think someone will be fixing anyway.
          The issue is -- It is quite challenging to pin down the exact problem. It seems quite random in nature; for hours and hours on end it will be fine and then, other times, it will seize up twice in 15 minutes. I am getting the impression it is somehow related to background disk activity but even then, it is very hard to pin down. I have no guaranteed way to trigger the problem at the moment. So, basically, I am indeed hoping someone with more precise datapoints will be able to provide more accurate bug reports.

Given the fact Linus himself is already somewhat apprehensive about 4.2's release, I would assume those bug reports already exist. Otherwise he would not be making it a point to specifically mention the ASM changes being a possible release blocker.

Comment

Working...
          X