Pinos Is For Linux Video What PulseAudio Is For Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinko View Post

You didn't address the question you quoted at all. Why switch the topic to PC gaming?

I'll go on to state some facts, which are so obvious, it's ridiculous and embarrassing to have to state them
    - Intel integrated GPUs are obviously sufficient to run an office desktop.
    - They are sufficient to use the web browser, office software and games that do not put stress on the GPU (like card games, chess, etc. Moorhuhm, retro games, etc.)
    - benchmarks can be designed to prove any given point. I can write a benchmark that simulates typing 10 letters, checking e-mail, watching some videos and a round playing tetris. The only difference this benchmark will show is increased power consumption in a system with discrete graphics.
    - telling (I'm not implying you're doing this) people indiscriminately that they'd benefit from discrete graphics should be considered a fraudulent ripoff, an offense to the environment (what a waste of electrical power) and is generally a strong indicator that the person making the statement is full of ****.
    There are cases where Intels GPU's are not sufficient to run a modern desktop. Just look at Windows XP when it launched. Everybody had fun nicknaming it Fisher Price and MS locked out the ability to change the theme, but the concept was sound. Intel's graphics processors of that day ran terrible. Anybody running any Intel IGP at that time was in for a slide show. It was fun to call XP bloated crap, but the real fact of the matter is it was Intel's fault. And then almost exactly the same thing happened on Vista's launch. You'd think Intel would learn.

I repair computers and I still come across those worthless GPU's regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
      Even when I was using a core i3 from the same time period as your CPU, I wasn't seeing 10% of it used when playing audio. Something's not right in your config man.
      But he just explained it. tsched=0 pretty much disables the power management of PulseAudio, hence the high CPU usage.

One needs to find out why timer scheduling isn't working right instead. Most of the time I had to use that, it was because of a misbehaving program. Updating such program would usually fix the issue. It could also relate to the lack of high-precision event timers.

Comment

Originally posted by tenente View Post
        Sorry liam , my fault then.
        I'm not a native english speaker and I thought that "properly fixed that" meant that it did not just fixed it, but fixed it in good/correct/proper way (i.e such a good piece of software we've got here).
        For the rest, I don't really see the point on arguing on what solution is better, I already know we have different opinions. (probably because we have different needs)
        Just use what seems to fit you best and be cool with others not using it !
        Sure, I can understand that, and it's mature of you to apologize (especially in forums like this), but I'm not the one offended
        For the record, I'm most definitely not saying we should argue over which is better. As you say, different users, different needs.

TheBlackCat
        Yes, I'm aware but I always hope we can do better.
        Judging from tenente's response, it seems like we can.

Comment

How about fixing what we have instead of adding layers upon it and leaving it a horrible mess like audio.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

But he just explained it. tsched=0 pretty much disables the power management of PulseAudio, hence the high CPU usage.

One needs to find out why timer scheduling isn't working right instead. Most of the time I had to use that, it was because of a misbehaving program. Updating such program would usually fix the issue. It could also relate to the lack of high-precision event timers.
            Some of my programs which need tsched=0 can't be updated (closed-source games, Win 3.x games which rely on Wine 1.2.x to not crash on startup despite the bug having been in Wine's Bugzilla for years now).

Also, I never had this problem with dmix. That's why I look down on PulseAudio.

I keep running into situations where something Just Worked? with dmix, PulseAudio broke it, and then people redirect the blame from the shoddy ALSA shim to the closed-source app that I'm somehow supposed to patch. (As far as I can remember, Windows played audio from games all the way back to Windows 3.1 perfectly up until 64-bit Windows end-of-lifed 16-bit thunking)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              There are cases where Intels GPU's are not sufficient to run a modern desktop.
              But you sell people discrete graphics cards whether they are one of those cases or not.

Just look at Windows XP when it launched.
              That was almost 14 years ago. x86-64 processors didn't even exist then. You are talking about advice for people with modern computers, running a "modern desktop".

"Intel integrated graphics sucked a decade-and-half-ago, and they aren't good for high-end gaming, so you should pay me for this expensive piece of a waste of electricity for your 6-month-old computer so you can browser the web and make text documents."

People like you are why so many consumers are distrustful getting buying advice from the person doing the selling.
              Last edited by TheBlackCat; 03 July 2015, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                But you sell people discrete graphics cards whether they are one of those cases or not.

That was almost 14 years ago. x86-64 processors didn't even exist then. You are talking about advice for people with modern computers, running a "modern desktop".

"Intel integrated graphics sucked a decade-and-half-ago, and they aren't good for high-end gaming, so you should pay me for this expensive piece of a waste of electricity for your 6-month-old computer so you can browser the web and make text documents."

People like you are why so many consumers are distrustful getting buying advice from the person doing the selling.
                I like how the words in quotes are your own. When you can't find a fault in what I said you make stuff up. How can you blame your words on me?

Comment

I like how the words in quotes are your own. When you can't find a fault in what I said you make stuff up. How can you blame your words on me?
                  RIght, because that was the only thing in my post. You do know that people can read my post and see that I did, in fact, point out where your fault lies? I was simply paraphrasing what you said.

I like how you can't actually point out where the paraphrasing is inaccurate. When you can't find fault in what I said you criticize how I said it.

Comment

You kinda force people to paraphrase your statements because you fail to state anything clearly and go all over the place with tangents, excuses and so on and so on...

Simply make a clear statement and you can make it stop. Maybe answer the following questions with either yes or no and we can see where you're coming from:
                    - Don't you think that most PC users who do not play current games or no games that need greater GPU resources are best served with IGPs (moneywise, powerwise and so on...)?

Again, it's ridiculous to debate it. My freaking netbook didn't hit the GPU limit while I did my office stuff on it.

Comment

People have this irrational hate for PulseAudio, that when someone dares to suggest that it is the only solution good enough to solve a problem in their opinion, people lose their shit.

This might very well be the most pathetic thread on this forum yet. Impressive.

Comment

Working...
                      X