Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.2 To Support The EFI System Resource Table

Phoronix: Linux 4.2 To Support The EFI System Resource Table

The Linux 4.2 kernel cycle that will soon officially commence will be adding support for the EFI System Resource Table (ESRT) in order to allow the updating of UEFI/BIOS on modern systems from the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could anybody explain how that is supposed to work? I only understand "table" but a table is a table. Where is the very chip located? Behind which bridges / controllers? Don't we still need flashrom support for the very chip to flash it? Can this UEFI table know about flashable chips that were added later (periphery via SATA, added NICs or storage controllers via PCI(e) and so on)? Does UEFI magically have drivers to do all that?
    And: How easily does it brick?
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Can this mechanism be used to load malware or corrupt the firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Theoretically, probably. But you'd have to have root (not just sudo) and most motherboards I've seen with UEFI come with "Dual BIOS" where the user only ever interacts with one and a secondary one is available if for some reason it detects the first fails to load / crashes / bails. Basically its read-only and gets you up and running so you can reflash from BIOS / boot into an OS to flash there.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Maybe UEFI firmwares are signed?
          It would be stupid not to allow boot unsigned OS, but allowing to flash unsigned firmware.

Comment

Working...
          X