KDBUS Is Taking A Lot Of Heat, Might Be Delayed From Mainline Linux Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    The problem with kdbus is that it's a port of dbus. And dbus was -designed- to be misused. The way dbus gets used today by most applications is shameful and wrong.
    May I quote yourself?
    My dislike of dbus comes from an end user perspective and doesn't have any basis in technical merit.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
      May I quote yourself?
      Sure, from an end user perspective dbus sucks ass.

EDIT: I have a specific problem I have with an application bug with dbus. The application is necessary and I can't not use it. I'm basically stuck. And it is 150% dbuses fault.
      Last edited by duby229; 16 April 2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Anyone who thinks that streaming audio in packages is a good idea does not know shit about what s/hes talking about
        You 200% right.

Comment

Sure, from an end user perspective dbus sucks ass.

EDIT: I have a specific problem I have with an application bug with dbus. The application is necessary and I can't not use it. I'm basically stuck. And it is 150% dbuses fault.
          How can an appliucation bug be DBUS' fault? You are inconsistent with your self, either it is an application bug, in which case it is not DBUS' fault, or it is a DBUS bug, but then it isn't an application bug. In any case, since you admit that you don't have the technical merits, how would you even know which one it is?

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
            You 200% right.
            I pitty all those poor misguided music streaming services

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
              better to buy cd-s, more money to the authors
              and you can play the music anytime anywhere on any device

edit, actually the artists are better off if you send them ~1$ and pirate their music
              record companies and associations are pieces of shit
              (sorry for the harsh tone)
              Last edited by gens; 16 April 2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
                I would say that music is only a subset of audio, in particular some part of what is audio are more susceptible to lag than music is.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                  How can an appliucation bug be DBUS' fault? You are inconsistent with your self, either it is an application bug, in which case it is not DBUS' fault, or it is a DBUS bug, but then it isn't an application bug. In any case, since you admit that you don't have the technical merits, how would you even know which one it is?
                  I've already filed a bug report a long time ago, and I've contacted a dbus dev over their mailing list and was told that behavior I'm experiencing is supposed to be that way. I can't really talk about the application because of a contract I signed, but it does use dbus as a resource. As far as I know it is using it correctly, but I don't have access to the source and I wouldn't know how to read it anyway.

I don't argue dbus on its technical merits because there is an obvious need for something like it. But some of what it does is way out in left field. My personal opinion is, an alternative can be made that functions like a message buss and little else. as of right now dbus does too much and it's behavior is just wrong. Applications that use it are forced to do some very wrong things with it. That's the problem that I have. It may not be a technical problem, but it's very real.
                  Last edited by duby229; 17 April 2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I've already filed a bug report a long time ago, and I've contacted a dbus dev over their mailing list and was told that behavior I'm experiencing is supposed to be that way. I can't really talk about the application because of a contract I signed, but it does use dbus as a resource. As far as I know it is using it correctly, but I don't have access to the source and I wouldn't know how to read it anyway.
                    Wait, so you haven't even looked at the application code, and you don't know enough to understand it anyway, but you are still convinced that it is dbus doing something wrong and not the application?

Applications that use it are forced to do some very wrong things with it.
                    Such as...?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      Wait, so you haven't even looked at the application code, and you don't know enough to understand it anyway, but you are still convinced that it is dbus doing something wrong and not the application?

Such as...?

Why does everybody have to be a programmer? Why all the anti-userbase sentiment?

Comment

Working...
                      X