Systemd Adds Reboot To EFI Firmware Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
    You don't want to mix Windows with Linux in dual-boot on UEFI systems. Whenever you boot to Windows via UEFI, it re-registers itself as the default boot option. You then need to go into the UEFI configuration menu before you're able to boot back to Linux. On my particular system that I've tried it on, more than 50% of the time the UEFI lost the GRUB option in the process of Windows re-registering itself, requiring a recovery boot to reinstall GRUB.
    I'm running both Windows and Linux on a dual-boot system and this is not the case. I can use the UEFI entry editors in Linux to do anything I want and it seems to stay the same. If anything, Ubuntu has destroyed my EFI entries a few times on installation (which is such bullshit) where it would have all EFI entries point towards the Ubuntu partition. Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

OpenSUSE actually has an intelligent installer that won't destroy your system. I was able to easily tell it where the current UEFI FAT32 partition is and it properly installed there and added a single "opensuse" entry without editing the other entries while also properly seeing Windows and adding a boot chain command in the GRUB menu. Unfortunately, that's the only way I can boot into Windows until I figure out how to properly reconfigure the wonky Windows 8 UEFI entry (or perhaps find a Microsoft tool to do that for me).

Comment

You don't want to mix Windows with Linux in dual-boot on UEFI systems. Whenever you boot to Windows via UEFI, it re-registers itself as the default boot option. You then need to go into the UEFI configuration menu before you're able to boot back to Linux. On my particular system that I've tried it on, more than 50% of the time the UEFI lost the GRUB option in the process of Windows re-registering itself, requiring a recovery boot to reinstall GRUB.
      Have you tried grub2win?
      Download Grub2Win for free. ** New ** Automatic font size selection for the boot menu. Grub2Win is completely free and open source.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
        As far as I'm aware, grub2win doesn't support UEFI. I just elected to not run Windows on that box.

Comment

Works fine here on Fedora 21 / Win8.1. You sure you just dont have a buggy / broken UEFI implementation?
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            I'm running both Windows and Linux on a dual-boot system and this is not the case. I can use the UEFI entry editors in Linux to do anything I want and it seems to stay the same. If anything, Ubuntu has destroyed my EFI entries a few times on installation (which is such bullshit) where it would have all EFI entries point towards the Ubuntu partition. Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.

OpenSUSE actually has an intelligent installer that won't destroy your system. I was able to easily tell it where the current UEFI FAT32 partition is and it properly installed there and added a single "opensuse" entry without editing the other entries while also properly seeing Windows and adding a boot chain command in the GRUB menu. Unfortunately, that's the only way I can boot into Windows until I figure out how to properly reconfigure the wonky Windows 8 UEFI entry (or perhaps find a Microsoft tool to do that for me).
            Odd - I don't know why we're having such different experiences. I tested both Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 and both chose to override the default NVRAM entry when I booted them. I use Debian, and chainloaded from GRUB to launch the Windows bootloader, which triggered Windows to override the NVRAM entry.

I'm not the only one to experience this issue, see http://askubuntu.com/questions/23556...t-boot-manager.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, grub2win doesn't support UEFI. I just elected to not run Windows on that box.
              guub2win uses grub2
              "Runs open source GNU Grub 2.02 code. Frequent releases and enhancements"
              It should support UEFI

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                guub2win uses grub2
                "Runs open source GNU Grub 2.02 code. Frequent releases and enhancements"
                It should support UEFI
                That doesn't mean it supports UEFI. I just read through the manual bundled with the grub2win download, and it mentions that it only works with "Native MBR". There's no mention of UEFI instructions. I've seen some forum posts explicitly mention that grub2win doesn't support UEFI - see http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.p...ded&pid=173142. If you have anything that suggests it DOES support UEFI, other than reusing Grub2 source code, I'm all ears.

Comment

Your buggy firmware does not represent the norm.

I am DYING to get off BIOS and onto UEFI when I upgrade my PC.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post

I am DYING to get off BIOS and onto UEFI when I upgrade my PC.
                    Same here. I have been toying around with EFI on my work machine (which is dual-booting Windows 8 and OpenSUSE; special privilege given to me by the boss) and I quite like what I am seeing.

Can't wait for my 8 yr old self-assembled desktop to give up the ghost so that I have excuse to build a new machine with EFI.

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
                      To be honest, it might... there's no shortage of buggy EFI implementations out there...

Comment

Working...
                      X