Wine-Staging Brings Emulated EAX, Better .NET Executables Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    Is it possible to apply the nine patches to staging? so far I've used one or the other, but I am interested in EAX for games.
    you can apply staging to wine+nine patch without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
      I believe CSMT in staging is done in a separate lib, so it should be ok. Not sure though

it is done using DLL Redirects

Comment

Originally posted by hellas View Post
        Given that Windows hasn't supported hardware acceleration for sound cards since Vista, there's no value in adding hardware support to either Linux or Wine. The number of hardware-accelerated sound cards still in use must be negligible.
        Windows 8 reintroduced hardware acceleration for sound cards.

WASAPI: audio stack in Windows 8 introduces support for "hardware offloading" of multiple audio streams to the audio card for mixing and effect processing, in addition to the software processing introduced in Vista, however the functionality is only exposed for Windows Runtime apps. DirectSound's and DirectMusic's hardware interfaces to sound card drivers are not implemented.

So new software designed with this in mind can use hardware accelerated sound, but old DirectSound games can't.

Comment

Originally posted by hellas View Post
          Given that Windows hasn't supported hardware acceleration for sound cards since Vista, there's no value in adding hardware support to either Linux or Wine. The number of hardware-accelerated sound cards still in use must be negligible.

hmm i just bought a brand new audigy rx pci-express soundcard earlier this year...._shrugs_ (alsa recognizes it as an audigy 2)

Still using alsa too. Works great. Alsa Vista doesn't support EAX/Aureal 3D, but vista itself IS using hardware acceleration when its available, it just isn't sharing it with the games (older games in particular), this can be fixed easily, but i use linux obviously so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Phew!
            There are so many things to fix. And they bring effing EAX support. CORNER CASE!
            Really, they push aside those "nine" patches and label them only a corner case of little benefit for few people but introduce EAX. Creative died long ago...
            Uh, you do realise that EAX is needed for most games in order to get reverb and spatial audio? And that EAX 1-3 are not Creative-specific (only EAX 4-5 are)?

Comment

Dx9 apis are enough to run EAX up to 5.0 version in hardware mode making useless wine.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                I won't use wine until it supports pulseaudio.

Don't tell me about wine-staging as that's a mess to use/compile/install.

sigh
                i ran it with pulseaudio for 4 months straight....the only reason i stopped was because pulseaudio went on a vacation. (lol). Now its wine + alsa.

Comment

sigh
                  Its only a mess to use/compile/install depending on your distro... Arch has -staging packages in the AUR, Fedora ships -staging by default, Gentoo probabably has a -staging ebuild laying around.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

sigh
                    just use fedora, it had wine staging with pa long ago

Comment

sigh
                      just use playonlinux, manually managing wine is a waste of time

Comment

Working...
                      X