Perl 6.0 Might Finally Be Released This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by niner View Post
    Perl 6's development is not driven by a need to produce quarterly market share numbers. It's driven by the desire to create a language that is fun and efficient to develop with. And that will still be fun and relevant decades from now. Learning Perl 6 is not a matter of following the latest trend that's gonna be different in two years, but a long standing investment in a good and solid base.
    Development might not be fueled by a need for market share, but it's success has to be. In Perl 5, you had a scripting language that absolutely dominated the UNIX world, but it stagnated - they've been pushing out new Perl 5 releases for many years, but there's been little real improvements to the language in a long time. And so it lost mindshare - people like me who used to use Perl for everything, abandoned it in favour of the better choices that became available. When I started using Linux, Perl was the #1 choice for doing almost anything that didn't require C - but now, I could just about get by without installing it. At work, we used to have a ton of old Perl scripts for various operations - most of them bit-rotted as the number of Perl developers in the company declined, and the important ones have been written in languages that people actually care about.

So what does Perl 6 do? Sure, maybe some of the people still using Perl 5 will upgrade, and I'm sure they'll be happier for having done so. But I don't know anyone who's interested in learning Perl anymore, and I don't think 6 will change that. From what I've seen of the differences, it just isn't enough... some nice features compared to 5, but nothing that makes Perl 6 look attractive to the people who have long been using other languages. It's too little, too late.

Comment

Originally posted by niner View Post

Your numbers have nothing at all to do with popularity. They are just that: numbers of repos on Github. <snip>
      Obviously PERL6 is so concise and easy to use that it is pointless committing or pushing any code written in it.

Comment

Working...
      X