No announcement yet.

Nasty Lockup Issue Still Being Investigated For Linux 3.18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was experiencing this issue on 3.17.0-4. It was so annoying i reverted back to 3.15. What happens is pc just freezes. It begins with bit of sound stuttering and in 2 o so seconds machine is completely unresponsive. Keyboard leds stop functioning, SysRq combinations no longer work, fan appears to spin bit faster. Im on sabertooth fx990 r2 motherboard w/ fx-8350 cpu by the way. Glad this is being looked into because it was real frustruating. For people that think its xen-related - i use KVM with vfio, no xen.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
      I was experiencing this issue on 3.17.0-4. It was so annoying i reverted back to 3.15. What happens is pc just freezes. It begins with bit of sound stuttering and in 2 o so seconds machine is completely unresponsive. Keyboard leds stop functioning, SysRq combinations no longer work, fan appears to spin bit faster. Im on sabertooth fx990 r2 motherboard w/ fx-8350 cpu by the way. Glad this is being looked into because it was real frustruating. For people that think its xen-related - i use KVM with vfio, no xen.
      any idea on what could have triggered the lockup in your case?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        Funny that I have two almost identical systems with Sabertooth 990FX R2 bios 2501 + FX-8350 + 16GB ECC memory both running 3.17.4 and vfio.

I do not remember any unstability with 3.17.x but I did have a problem some time ago. Sadly I do not remember which kernel -- but it must have been 3.16 or earlier.

Here are some of the kernels I have been using:
        3.15.3 - 3.15.10
        3.16.3, 3.16.5, 3.16.6
        3.17.2, 3.17.3, 3.17.4

Current uptime is 5 days only because I upgrade the kernel almost weekly. Hopefully we'll get a new longterm supported kernel soon.

Comment

Working...
        X