Wine Direct3D Command Stream Not Landing Anytime Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
    Curious that there was no test there for Wine without CSMT.
    Yup. It was all a big conspiracy and you have uncovered it. Curses! Foiled again!

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
      Yup. It was all a big conspiracy and you have uncovered it. Curses! Foiled again!
      Damn. I'm really confused as to wether that was meant as a friendly joke, or if I said something really dickish. Hmmm.

Comment

Damn. I'm really confused as to wether that was meant as a friendly joke, or if I said something really dickish. Hmmm.
        IMHO, you wrote exactly what I thought when I saw the image.

Comment

Curious that there was no test there for Wine without CSMT.
          Those are my tests, I did not bother with plain WINE since it's known to be slower, IIRC 50% slower. ( https://github.com/KillaW0lf04/The-W...ssues/issues/1)

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
            On the topic of D3D in wine.... I would really like to have it. There are a lot of games that are not going to ever come to linux that would greatly benefit to this.

It's a long road until we get nearly all games ported, and the future with all these new graphics APIs is a little murky. Between now and world domination (if it comes), that's an awful lot of games to miss out on.
            Exactly as you commented many titles dont going to linux (on newer titles have more chances for native versions)

This change not only benefit DX10 when stay ready in theory give more multitasking capabilities to wine (preparing to DX10/DX11), performance can up more than only CSMT (however at least wine use in better form cpus with 4 or more cores, more performance for core)

However time is needed for see this changes, maybe equal to CSMT could appear first on crossover and some later time in wine

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              Exactly as you commented many titles dont going to linux (on newer titles have more chances for native versions)

This change not only benefit DX10 when stay ready in theory give more multitasking capabilities to wine (preparing to DX10/DX11), performance can up more than only CSMT (however at least wine use in better form cpus with 4 or more cores, more performance for core)

However time is needed for see this changes, maybe equal to CSMT could appear first on crossover and some later time in wine

People you don't understand something about CSMT: That will only work with 6-8 issue many core desktop CPUs. When you have core2 you may get more fps but not even a fraction of the native. The same with i5 laptop or atom or mulin. If you lower you graphics to half you will just have 20% more fps because you just have 20% less shader translations. It will never work regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                Really, the gap is a _lot_ smaller than it used to be. 95%+ of DX9 and older games run fine in WINE, the only problem now is games that are DX10(almost zero)/DX11 only without linux ports. And honestly, that's not that many of them and it's getting smaller by the day thanks to Valve. The situation is vastly better than it was even just a year ago.
                This is relative wine solve many things for run this hypotethical DX9 titles, before CSMT wine maybe focus on complete DX9 caps (Saint Row The Third, Duke Nuke Forever and many others)

Problems with sound (underrun issues in some games) and audio codec stable support like as: (MP3, OGG and others)

Problems with some video formats like as: MPEG1, MPEG2, some AVIs and others (Pro Skater 3-4, Resident Evil 4, Bloodrayne 1-2, Chaos Legion, Nosferatu Wrath of Malachi, Silent Hill 3, James Bond Nightfire, Onimusha 3 Demon Siege, Ys Origins, Legend of Heroes Trials in The Sky)

Problems with GFWL and securom titles (Dirt 3, Fuel, Kane and Lynch Dead Men, James Bond Quantum of Solace, Dead Rising 2, Bulletstorm, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Tron Evolution, The Club, Alone in The Dark 2008, Crash Time IV, Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Faction Guerilla, Virtua Tennis 4 and many others)

*Some titles fixed with nodvd but as come dont work

And many other things like stability tests (case divinity 2, bioshock 2 and others)

However in middle of this many games works

In my tests successfull probability stay (regular wine of course) around 75 to 80%

Last edited by pinguinpc; 11 October 2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  People you don't understand something about CSMT: That will only work with 6-8 issue many core desktop CPUs. When you have core2 you may get more fps but not even a fraction of the native. The same with i5 laptop or atom or mulin. If you lower you graphics to half you will just have 20% more fps because you just have 20% less shader translations. It will never work regardless.
                  This is why something like CSMT is not really a great solution. While this maybe great for desktop users, most laptops users are dual core. You can thank Intel for that. That's why something like gallium-nine makes sense to have.

Wine is becoming increasingly fragmented cause of this reason. People want CSMT and gallium-nine and will patch it into their Wine. Which makes all of Wine's feedback pointless cause they only deal with non patched Wine. In this day in age a non patched Wine is like getting a slice of bread without toast, jam, or peanut butter.

Comment

Why is CSMT better suited for many cores?
                    I thought it was using one thread for the DX translations, why do you need more than 2?
                    (Well I mean 1 thread for that, and one for the rest )

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      This is why something like CSMT is not really a great solution. While this maybe great for desktop users, most laptops users are dual core. You can thank Intel for that. That's why something like gallium-nine makes sense to have.

Wine is becoming increasingly fragmented cause of this reason. People want CSMT and gallium-nine and will patch it into their Wine. Which makes all of Wine's feedback pointless cause they only deal with non patched Wine. In this day in age a non patched Wine is like getting a slice of bread without toast, jam, or peanut butter.
                      Galllium nine only affects minor quantity of wine users (mostly opensource amd users) compared to mainbase wine users (most users in wine have nvidia cards on linux and mac with propietary drivers) for this and other reasons for wine devs dont give support

Comment

Working...
                      X