Red Hat Developers Introduce New Tool For Linux Storage Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
    I'm pretty lucky already, thank you. I tend to use software developed by designers who care about their users and I just dismiss that developed by arrogant pricks. It's FLOSS developers (and especially the companies behind some of them, like in this case Red Hat) who need the users favor, not the other way around. Talking about self importance...
    i wonder which software would that be

Comment

No need to set aside anything. I know who I'm talking to. While too many developers are openly despising their users, what borders insanity is having their fans emulating them in these forums.

I do think some development areas are symbiotic; basically those related to software for IT professionals (server software, admin tools, etc.), but when it comes to consumers, 99% of which aren't technically skilled, telling them to "fix it yourself" is blatantly silly -when not slightly insulting- and, frankly, it's getting old and tiresome.

The particular application this thread is about is one of those that IT pros wouldn't normally use (they have the command line this app is trying to abstract), so I believe my position applies perfectly well here.
      I wouldn't disagree with the notion that IT pros don't use such tools. Our toolset has many such tools and we rely on them all the time. Non technical users aren't going to use an advanced storage management tool either

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        From email

it sounds to me like you would be angry since 0.1.8 doesn't already support what you need, when application clearly states open goals for future
        As he stated in the reply above yours he really isn't too concerned about the app but the response of "you don't like it/you can fix it" is a poisonous one, in his view.
        IMHO, he's not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BubuXP View Post
          'Reinventing the wheel' and/or 'not invented here' syndrome?
          If "layout is inspired by GParted" why they didn't simply improve GParted?
          Python?
          GParted being old and only supports a limited range of modern technologies?
          Sometime old code bases aren't worth supporting?
          Maybe the GParted maintainers aren't interested in the direction Redhat was going here?
          It is only a GUI supporting existing libraries?

Choose your favorite from above.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Its very slow.
            Have you actually used it? Further how often would you actually use it.

Comment

I really don't care about the app that much. As a matter of fact, it looks OK and it might gain the missing features in the future. All I wish for is the imbecile attitude of "if you don't like it, don't criticize it and write it yourself" to go away for good. NOTHING hurts FLOSS end-user/consumer adoption more than that and I'm sick of it.
              I actually agree with you on the points described above.

However I honestly think you are a bit rough on this GUI interface. Let's face it no app in its first release makes everybody happy.
              The idea that because a piece of software is open source and free you just can't have a negative opinion about it, or the assumption that everyone can take a source file and start coding away (and if not, they should just shut up and fuck off) are so stupid and so common in FLOSS after so many years that's just unbelievable. It just gets on my nerves.
              Thankfully not everybody is like that. I do believe many people involved in the FLOSS world and in the public eye are especially prone to this attitude. This results in a general opinion of those involved in the FLOSS Movement that isn't pretty nor desirable.

In the end I like what you expressed here but I'm not sure your complaints about the GUI are all that justified. It certainly makes sense to want expanded support but expecting everything at launch is a bit much.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                Ever heard the term "false sense of self importance"?
                In the OSS world, those who "do", get the make all the decisions.
                This is the type of attitude problem I think is being complained about here. Imagine if MicroSoft, IBM, Apple, Cisco or any of the big companies telling their customers to go to hell because you don't "do", thus you can't suggest fixes and improvements.
                Those who talk, get to "spout" (your word, not mine) their no-so-important opinions (with said false sense of self importance) in discussion forums.

Good luck with that.
                Opinions need to be atleast valued. Maybe the idea isn't feasible, if so say so.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  This is the type of attitude problem I think is being complained about here. Imagine if MicroSoft, IBM, Apple, Cisco or any of the big companies telling their customers to go to hell because you don't "do", thus you can't suggest fixes and improvements.
                  Well, to be fair, they (Microsoft, Cisco, etc., customers) "do" pay for the software. In this case, you might consider feedback and bug reports as "payment", I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    OSS is a social experience. It is *not* democracy, it is a meritocracy [1].
                    You can contribute code, you can contribute patches, you can contribute bug reports and QA time, you can contribute bug reports and/or you can even contribute well thought out RFE (request for enhancement).
                    For the sake of this argument, lets consider the above mentioned actions "constructive".

On the other hand, you can "contribute" one liner comments in Phoronix, and I quote:
                    Originally posted by pali
                    "They are stupid or what?? There is hardcoded install path in launch script blivet-gui (/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivetgui/main.py). This is some new restriction from Lennart or what?"
                    Originally posted by pali
                    "Another tool which does not support UDF FS?"
                    I don't like it. I won't write my own. I'll keep expressing my opinions while you keep spouting that idiotic FLOSS developers meme.
                    ... Do any of those can be considered constructive? I doubt it.

BTW, keep in mind that one has to pay a *lot* of money in-order to gain the privilege to report bugs against any-Microsoft product (let alone RFE). Same goes for Oracle.

Opinions need to be atleast valued. Maybe the idea isn't feasible, if so say so.
                    RFE's that are posted in *right* venue (RFE, bug reports) may or may not be valuable.
                    Opinions *, such as the single liners quoted above, are of no value what-so-ever.
                    (Hence the "false sense of self importance").

BTW, when I post a bug in Fedora, KDE or Kernel bugzilla, I understand that by definition the maintainers do not owe me anything.
                    On the other hand, when people post bugs / requests on software that I maintain, I assume that they understand that I'm doing this on my (not so) free time and act accordingly.

- Gilboa
                    [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy#Computing
                    Last edited by gilboa; 07 September 2014, 04:45 AM.
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

So being based on the partition configuration parts of anaconda, I'm already scared of this tool. I've had VERY bad experiences with the new anaconda, especially as related to partitioning. Try to do anything out of the default, and it'll either error out before it actually does it, or it will install and give you something totally unbootable. I hope they can get this stuff all ironed out, but the new installer has already been out for a few releases, and it is still incredibly unreliable. So unreliable, that the ONLY way to make a bootable install to my laptop (of Fedora 20) is to pull the disk out and do the full setup with my *desktop*, and then transfer the disk back.

Comment

Working...
                      X