No announcement yet.

Systemd 216 Piles On More Features, Aims For New User-Space VT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The GPL is a Marxist licencing scheme, and we all know the success of Marxism: USSR, Venezuela etc.

The GPL is not more open because it adds a lot of strings to the " freedom " it promises. BSD on the other hands is literally as close to public domain as a licence goes.

PulseAudio is a junk sound server: when I used GNU/Linux I could never get it to detect my headphone inserts reliably when IRIX and BSD do it just fine, it also likes to increase latency 10-fold on games and movies. OSS is simpler.

rc scripts aren't crazy: They give you fine control over the entire boot process and the way it works is there is a startup and shutdown script. When either is called, they check against rc.conf for special rules then check rc.d for the daemons they need to start or stop. They then go through serially and execute each one.

I can't even describe the process systemd uses, in addition it loves to lock up on you, forcing a reboot. I had it also do an fsck loop on one of my computers: I had to mount the drive in another system to get the data off because systemd and fsck together was like dumb and dumber. Luckily next time that happened I switched to backup init via OpenRC and successfully got the system up again.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
      The GPL is a Marxist licencing scheme, and we all know the success of Marxism: USSR, Venezuela etc.

The GPL is not more open because it adds a lot of strings to the " freedom " it promises. BSD on the other hands is literally as close to public domain as a licence goes.

PulseAudio is a junk sound server: when I used GNU/Linux I could never get it to detect my headphone inserts reliably when IRIX and BSD do it just fine, it also likes to increase latency 10-fold on games and movies. OSS is simpler.

rc scripts aren't crazy: They give you fine control over the entire boot process and the way it works is there is a startup and shutdown script. When either is called, they check against rc.conf for special rules then check rc.d for the daemons they need to start or stop. They then go through serially and execute each one.

I can't even describe the process systemd uses, in addition it loves to lock up on you, forcing a reboot. I had it also do an fsck loop on one of my computers: I had to mount the drive in another system to get the data off because systemd and fsck together was like dumb and dumber. Luckily next time that happened I switched to backup init via OpenRC and successfully got the system up again.
      Wow, I can't believe I found someone who feels the same way about OSS as me... For me, Pulseaudio is a pain because of the latency and weird stuff it does with my audio hardware. I've never had a problem with OSS when I used it.

Comment

The GPL is "I scratch your back, if you scratch mine." Or if you don't get it "I give you code, if you give me." I personally prefer permissive licences too, but that doesn't mean I shittalk the GPL. People choose what they want.
        I couldn't answer your problem with your headphones, but since it's just an anecdote, it holds just as much weight as my experience with FreeBSD not working with my microphone. Stuff happens.

Your other anecdote about systemd also holds the same weight as my experience where systemd simplified my life greatly when Arch switched. Arch used a BSD-like rc system before.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          well since you used the word "masked" i assume you use gentoo
          You assume right, but it's because of luck.

You can actually mask services in systemd, this makes services pointer to null and thus if anything wants to activate them, it won't succeed.
          Code:
          # systemctl mask systemd-logind
          Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service to /dev/null.

Comment

Aside the fact I dislike GNU/Linux for a minute and I am a BSD user:

It seems RedHat is making all the other distros their bitch by adding systemd as a hard dependency.

More seriously, systemd has indeed moved beyond the scope of init... My question is why not adopt the BSD rc init. System V init has its issues, but BSD rc init has nothing wrong with it.

Systems is rapidly looking like the next HAL in terms of questionable enhancements, but I'm actually enjoying watching GNU/Linux become more like an OS X or Windows clone. Sitting from here on the comfy pillar of BSD is fun.
            you look like typical uneducated bsd clown.
            red hat is not making anything because it does not own systemd.
            more seriously, systemd's scope is not init, but something like freebsd base.
            now ask youself, why you did not adopt bsd rc init instead of freebsd base.
            Last edited by pal666; 20 August 2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              openBSD and BSD dragonfly are your answer because FreeBSD is trying to move forward and that will probably won't work for you either in the long run
              move forward.... right...

Comment

no, bsd is closer to marxist. there are billion dollar companies who build their business around gpl.
                wrong again. you just misinterpret who gets this promise of freedom. (l)gpl gives freedom to users to have source. bsd gives freedom to programmers to steal code. you are clearly not user but stealer.
                why did you break your computer and blame pulseaudio ?

I can't even describe the process systemd uses,
                so you are lacking education
                in addition it loves to lock up on you, forcing a reboot. I had it also do an fsck loop on one of my computers: I had to mount the drive in another system to get the data off because systemd and fsck together was like dumb and dumber. Luckily next time that happened I switched to backup init via OpenRC and successfully got the system up again.
                you seem to often break you computers. what is wrong with you ?

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                  I am curious, how exactly does it insult you?
                  I'm fairly long-time systemd user and logind changed config variables about 3 times since I'm using it. It also uses annoying defaults (HandleLidSwitch=suspend) and stuff like changing 'false' rvalue into 'ignore' etc.
                  Overall, if anytime you update major (or even minor) revision, you have to fear that your old configs won't work or that some new ones are added. Not to say that cgroup userspace was broken in recent versionsn completely because Lennart don't want people to touch '/sys/fs/cgroups' directly, so stuff like ulatencyd no longer works (it actually used to 'just work' 2 years ago, untill recently it worked only when you modified pam config not to handle cgroups and nowadays it just won't work since it wasn't explicitly written to support systemd cgroup hierarchy).
                  As much as I love systemd init, It always seems to break my box on major update.

Comment

Systemd == MCP ??

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Systemd 216 Piles On More Features, Aims For New User-Space VT

Lennart Poettering announced the systemd 216 release on Tuesday and among its changes is a more complete systemd-resolved that has nearly complete caching DNS and LLMNR stub resolver, a new systemd terminal library, and a number of new commands...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2Nzk
                    So why was systemd called systemd? Probably because "MCP" has already been used...way back in 1982. Does anyone see the parallels in this?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                      Some of them (most) use systemd, but their certainly not "under Red Hat control".
                      You can deny it all you want but if a distro uses systemd it's de-facto under RH control. It's that simple.

Comment

Working...
                      X