Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueZ 5.21 Adds More Android Features

Phoronix: BlueZ 5.21 Adds More Android Features

A new release is out for BlueZ, the Linux Bluetooth stack, with the developers continuing to work on the same theme of the past few months of adding Android features for BlueZ...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fuck you. Bluez 5 broke lot of parts of bluetooth functions on standard linux system and now on what developers are focusing is android support. Why on the earth?? Android is using its own bluetooth stack. So now we only have useless and crippled bluetooth SW... Somebody should fork old working Bluez 4 and tell linux distributions maintainers to stop breaking still working parts of bluetooth...

Comment

Originally posted by pali View Post
      Fuck you. Bluez 5 broke lot of parts of bluetooth functions on standard linux system and now on what developers are focusing is android support. Why on the earth?? Android is using its own bluetooth stack. So now we only have useless and crippled bluetooth SW... Somebody should fork old working Bluez 4 and tell linux distributions maintainers to stop breaking still working parts of bluetooth...
      Cyanogenmod and many other independent Android mods use BlueZ.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        This is still not reason for breaking bluez on real linux.

Comment

Originally posted by pali View Post
          This is still not reason for breaking bluez on real linux.
          can you elaborate more? in arch seems to work fine as far as i've seen(very basic use), i mean with laptops that have bt included in the wifi chip they scan and see devices just fine and transfer files but more advanced stuff i haven't tested hence my question

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            Wouldn't this introduce incompatibilities between stock Android and forks using BlueZ?

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              can you elaborate more? in arch seems to work fine as far as i've seen(very basic use), i mean with laptops that have bt included in the wifi chip they scan and see devices just fine and transfer files but more advanced stuff i haven't tested hence my question
              Bluetooth headsets don't work (can't use microphone at all). It was working before, support was removed. They said oFono supports it, but it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                Bluetooth headsets don't work (can't use microphone at all). It was working before, support was removed. They said oFono supports it, but it doesn't.
                Headsets don't work with BlueZ 5 because they decided to drop HSP and HFP profiles, In theory, Pulseaudio 5 should handle these using oFono.

Comment

..which doesn't work in practise, nor works for people who don't want to use Pulse or oFono.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    First they removed AT parser which is needed for HSP and HFP profile. Which means you cannot use any bluetooth headset with microphone. They told us that you need to use some big telephone stack which implement all AT commands (e.g. ofono), but nobody wrote glue code which sit between ofono and bluez. Also needs for telephone stack only for supporting volume up/down buttons on bluetooth headset for input system is total nonsense. Second thing is removed socket support for A2DP profile (and probably for other profiles too). Which means that any application which used sockets for access bluez stop working. The only "proper" way is to use dbus and its support for sending file handle... Existing broken application is not problem of bluez developers. Another problem with bluez5 is removed, renamed or changed other access interfaces. And there is also removed ALSA support for A2DP profile.

As I wrote it is time to create fork of bluez from version which worked. You can see that only one thing which developers doing is android...

Comment

Working...
                    X