Clear All

• NomadDemon
    replied
    give me jpeg with transparency, and i will use it again

Leave a comment:

• joh22n
    replied
    Originally posted by brent View Post
    In addition, good optimizing JPEG encoders are already getting pretty close to WebP's compression efficiency.
    If what you say is true, then where does the 10% reduction in page load time come from?

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    I sure hope it won't get any widescale adoption. The only actual advantage of WebP is the alpha channel. On the other hand, WebP is a lot more computationally intensive to decode and doesn't support 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. In addition, good optimizing JPEG encoders are already getting pretty close to WebP's compression efficiency. Furthermore, JPEG already includes some of the advertised advantages of WebP in the standard as optional features, such as a lossless mode and arithmetic coding.

Also, a major issue with WebP is that the spec still isn't final and it isn't properly standardized, nor are there any efforts going on to get it standardized, as far as I can see. Typical Google pseudo-standard BS.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Google Continues Pushing Its WebP Image Format

Google Continues Pushing Its WebP Image Format

Phoronix: Google Continues Pushing Its WebP Image Format

For web developers and server administrators, Google's Chromium blog has out an update on the adoption of the WebP image format within the Internet giant...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X