Kdbus Will Likely Be Merged Into The Kernel This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    D-Bus uses a binary protocol: http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus...ssage-protocol

XML is only used for files describing D-Bus interfaces. Most client libraries have tools to generate code from those file which allows application developers to do "method calls" instead of constructing and sending messages.

That part is still valid with kdbus, since it only changes the internals of the message bus.

Cheers,
    _
    Thanks for the link. I was indeed thinking of the interface definitions though, I must confess, I'm not sure how dbus having a binary protocol necessarily contradicts the binary being serialized XML.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      The only problem is BIOS. For me it's 75% of boot time in BIOS and I haven't even optimized Linux booting. I highly doubt it can be much faster than it is. It's 30 seconds in BIOS waiting for POST test, 10 seconds from GRUB2 to login manager. Quite fast eh? I have 600 MB/s SATA 3.0 SSD drive and Intel i7 4770K CPU overclocked at 4.2 GHz.
      Check to see if your BIOS has "Fast Boot" or "Quick Boot" or an option to disable the Self Tests, that should save some time. You could also reduce the GRUB timeout from whatever it is to only 1 or 2 seconds. Wont help completely but it might a bit
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Check to see if your BIOS has "Fast Boot" or "Quick Boot" or an option to disable the Self Tests, that should save some time. You could also reduce the GRUB timeout from whatever it is to only 1 or 2 seconds. Wont help completely but it might a bit
        I have UEFI BIOS. The fast boot option says it requires Windows 7 or 8. Does it work with Linux?

Comment

I have UEFI BIOS. The fast boot option says it requires Windows 7 or 8. Does it work with Linux?
          UEFI isn't BIOS. UEFI is UEFI, BIOS is BIOS. Coreboot is Coreboot. All of them are firmware.

Comment

Depends: http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/24869.html

If you enable Fast Boot then the firmware skips certain hardware initialization functions. Different firmwares skip different parts of hardware init but most of them usually skip USB, which unfortunately means your keyboard and mouse wont work. So if you need to get into the boot menu or the setup menu you are kind of out of luck.

Windows 8 (not sure about Win7) can get around that because part of the reboot menu now is the option to boot directly into the firmware setup via setting a UEFI variable. Telling the machine to boot to either the boot loader or the setup overrides Fast Boot and does full hardware init regardless.

I don't think any Linux login managers support setting said UEFI variable from the reboot / shutdown / logout menu, so the only way you can get into the boot loader / setup at that point would be to disconnect the hard drive which makes UEFI load to the boot loader so you can pick a boot target, which makes it do full hardware init in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              UEFI isn't BIOS. UEFI is UEFI, BIOS is BIOS. Coreboot is Coreboot. All of them are firmware.

UEFI is UEFI.
              BIOS is BIOS.
              UEFI in BIOS Compatibity Mode is UEFI disguised as BIOS
              Coreboot is Coreboot which is kind of....unique.

Buuuuuut... because "BIOS" has kind of become the generic term for "Low level hardware init" a few companies are marketing UEFI as "UEFI BIOS" to denote that what people are used to calling BIOS is a UEFI implementation.

Comment

I don't think any Linux login managers support setting said UEFI variable from the reboot / shutdown / logout menu, so the only way you can get into the boot loader / setup at that point would be to disconnect the hard drive which makes UEFI load to the boot loader so you can pick a boot target, which makes it do full hardware init in the process.
                There is a tool called efibootmgr that can modify the EFI boot manager configuration, maybe it can do something.

Comment

Buuuuuut... because "BIOS" has kind of become the generic term for "Low level hardware init" a few companies are marketing UEFI as "UEFI BIOS" to denote that what people are used to calling BIOS is a UEFI implementation.
                  Yeap, and that is maddening because then you hear people refer to UEFI as BIOS. Then you start listing why BIOS is bad and how to work around its problems, and then the person says that they'd been using UEFI all along and was just using incorrect terminology.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
                    Are you thinking of a specific piece of software you'd like to be more "loosely coupled and modular"? Or is this purely philosophical? To my ear it smacks of pure idealism. Modularity isn't a magic word that makes a round peg fit holes of all shapes and sizes. Even module loaders, with the implied checks and layers, add their own overhead, in development effort in addition to actual resource efficiency.
                    It is a general philosophical stance. Certainly one can find software examples that follow it, and examples that do not.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Thanks for the link. I was indeed thinking of the interface definitions though, I must confess, I'm not sure how dbus having a binary protocol necessarily contradicts the binary being serialized XML.
                      True, not the best possible choice of words. It is a custom binary format, not serialized XML..

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X