Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg & Libav Add H.265 Encoder Via x265

Phoronix: FFmpeg & Libav Add H.265 Encoder Via x265

FFmpeg and its forked Libav have each added an H.265 / HEVC encoder today to their respective code-bases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

typo

We have also seen open-source HEVC / H.265 support come via libde265 as a decoder for this video format that doubles the data compression ration of H.265 while at the same video quality level.
    I think the h.265 in bold should be h.264

Comment

While the wind of change is upon Debian, they should also switch back to ffmpeg. Switching to libav was a mistake and it's time to correct that.

Comment

I try to compile x265 in order to try it with ffmpeg but I cannot find the proper option to make it install in /usr/lib64 instead of /usr/lib.
        Did anyone manage to do that?

Comment

hmm is there anywhere test on linux with h.265 material? I think there aren't any hardware decoder, which can decode h.265/vp9 material(well qualcomm snapdragon 805 might have hw decoder) on gpu side(purevideoHD or uvd). So decoding is done with cpu. It would be nice to see which processors are really up to the task on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
            While the wind of change is upon Debian, they should also switch back to ffmpeg. Switching to libav was a mistake and it's time to correct that.
            Is not the maintainer from that pakage a member from the libva fork? i doubt that he want to use ffmpeg. But if you want that debian know you wish, post it in the bug system https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=729203

Comment

Would be interesting to see how image quality is performing right now.

Is a simple h265 encoder able to surpass the finely-tuned x264? There's a lot more in a video format than just the spec

But I guess h265 is ready when the first anime encodes show up. First time I've heard of 10-bit h264, h264 or even DivX was on anime encodes. Those guys are tech junkies, and don't give a crap about your old computer

Comment

Encode options?

If anyone can figure out the options to pass to ffmpeg/x265 that control quality settings for VBR, please let me know. I tried compressing some video with -crf 16, and it totally spat out video at something like 80kbps. Not even x265 can make that watchable. I also tried adding -qmin 16, but it simply ignored me.

Setting -b:v 512k or 1024k worked, but looked awful in comparison to x264 at the same bitrate. With the poor quality, documentation, and slow encode times (~4 FPS on my box), it will probably be a while before this becomes usable, even if it is finally available.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                  For us sane folks: http://deb-multimedia.org/

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    For us sane folks: http://deb-multimedia.org/
                    True, but it's been a pain in the rear with updates, so I just removed these packages. I second the notion of just using ffmpeg proper. Losing functionality and increasing instability in favor of policy zealots was both unprofessional and myopic.

Comment

Working...
                    X