KDBUS & Systemd Now Yields A Working System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    How do you expect to not have long waits to get simple bugs in proprietary software fixed?
    It's clear your not a Qt developer, and you don't follow the development of various core tools. If you were then you would know that I have been bitching about the same Qt bugs for almost 10 years? And many coretools - GNU tools are not actually developed any longer there patch maintained by the community.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    I remember seeing this "LiquidPixel" program when you advertised it the last time here. Would have been interesting if it was a real application...
    You should have actually read my entire post, I did say "Unfortunately I never finished it"

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      There are plenty of use cases you are apparently not considering.

Mobile apps are small and crappy? It is amoung the fastest growing software businesses and plenty of apps are amazingly well done compared to Linux desktop apps. Also what about ISV's? What about software that doesn't fit the licensing regulations of distros? What about bleeding edge development snapshots? Those are just a few examples.
      Those apps that are well done also have no issues getting packaged. I don't know what "ISV" stands for. About licensing regulations, they're there for a reason, I don't see why distributions would jump at the opportunity to create a workaround for them. And usually those regulations don't apply to user repositories, anyway. About bleeding-edge snapshots, I don't see any problems with the current system (scripts automatically pull git snapshots and build packages out of them ? at least that's how it works in Open Build Service, and the same principle works in Gentoo). So I'm still not convinced.

Comment

I think I got it in one piece now.
        Bold is relevant, italic is irrelevant.

Originally posted by zester View Post
        Anyways I am celebrating tonight because we finely got all of the GPL/LGPL out of
        userspace. The whole system only contains BSD/MIT/Boost/Zlib licensed software except for the
        Linux kernel.

Everything is sooo clean, and every library and tool is well maintained, by its original maintainers. No more long waits to get
        simple bugs fixed, no licensing conflicts.

FreeBSD and NetBSD Dev's have been sooooo helpful.
        We in-vision an ecosystem where "Open Source" and "Proprietary" software work's together, in an effort to build the best possible platform for current and future generation's of users.
        From: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....983743#p983743

Ok so I took a look it doesn't have it's own window manager.

Thats a problem because all those applications it has I already wrote the only thing I
        need is a qt based window manager.

Not to mention razor uses.
        Cmake and GPL3/LGPL3

I use Qmake and the BSD license.
        I see why he tries to get rid of GPL licensed software now - he obviously lobbies building of a proprietary system that might very well impose danger towards FLOSS users on desktop.
        It very simply BSD-only proprietary encumbrance-friendly OS, with only Linux kernel being GPL. Linux can be easily replaced with BSD kernel, and then it will be spreading further.
        It might very well party-up with microsoft or similar to driver off Linux marketshare, to make Valve switch from Linux by working with Nvidia(Valve-primary partner). You should understand, that Canonical and RH are both endangered through this vector.

I can see the destruction of Linux and specifically GNU due to diminishing share very well.

Whatever RedHat, Greg KH, Lennart do, they do right, as it seems to anger him.

He dislikes that the majority of ecosystem will become BSD-incompatible, and then make it impossible to switch kernel so easily. This is also the reason why he insisted on (now depricated) ZeroMQ - it is a BSD-licensed bus, thus it will be easily compatible to kernel switch if Linux implements it instead of systemd.

This is a proprietary monster in the works and he just revealed it.
        This also confirms the issues with BSD crowd serving proprietary and being the backstabbers of GNU in particular.

Also, he has serious problems with basic security. I think this is what anyone can figure out:
        We in-vision an ecosystem where "Open Source" and "Proprietary" software work's together, in an effort to build the best possible platform for current and future generation's of users.
        Third Red Hat controls large portions of Linux and the NSA has them in there pocket. If you want to learn a little something about security and exploits
        find your self a crypto expert and ask them why overly complicated code is bad, and how easy it is to "accidentally" lol expose an off by one bug/exploit/back door.
        Proprietary (and he IS building a proprietary-only stack) and security are, of course, very unrelated. He says something like - your house is insecure because I saw you talking to NSA, lets build a pandora box system instead - it is secure, popular and best possible platform for current and future generations of users.

Just felt the need to post that. Take care.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          I think I got it in one piece now.
          Bold is relevant, italic is irrelevant.

I see why he tries to get rid of GPL licensed software now - he obviously lobbies building of a proprietary system that might very well impose danger towards FLOSS users on desktop.
          It very simply BSD-only proprietary encumbrance-friendly OS, with only Linux kernel being GPL. Linux can be easily replaced with BSD kernel, and then it will be spreading further.
          It might very well party-up with microsoft or similar to driver off Linux marketshare, to make Valve switch from Linux by working with Nvidia(Valve-primary partner). You should understand, that Canonical and RH are both endangered through this vector.

I can see the destruction of Linux and specifically GNU due to diminishing share very well.

Whatever RedHat, Greg KH, Lennart do, they do right, as it seems to anger him.

He dislikes that the majority of ecosystem will become BSD-incompatible, and then make it impossible to switch kernel so easily. This is also the reason why he insisted on (now depricated) ZeroMQ - it is a BSD-licensed bus, thus it will be easily compatible to kernel switch if Linux implements it instead of systemd.

This is a proprietary monster in the works and he just revealed it.
          This also confirms the issues with BSD crowd serving proprietary and being the backstabbers of GNU in particular.

Also, he has serious problems with basic security. I think this is what anyone can figure out:

Proprietary (and he IS building a proprietary-only stack) and security are, of course, very unrelated. He says something like - your house is insecure because I saw you talking to NSA, lets build a pandora box system instead - it is secure, popular and best possible platform for current and future generations of users.

Just felt the need to post that. Take care.

I don't even know how to respond to that, "serious problems with basic security" how is that? There isn't any proprietary software in the stack.

If your asking me if I hate GNU/GPL and most Linux Developers in general, you hit the nail on the head there friend, and I am not the only one ether
          20+ years of abuse because "we want to organize our root dir as we see fit", "because we want .desktop files to be valid ini files without some bullshit array
          that breaks compatibility" with a basic ini parser. Research history see how the Gobo Linux project was treated or how Maxim Shemanarev(Author of AGG) was treated
          years before he died.

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          Quote Originally Posted by zester View Post
          From: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....983743#p983743

Ok so I took a look it doesn't have it's own window manager.

Thats a problem because all those applications it has I already wrote the only thing I
          need is a qt based window manager.

Not to mention razor uses.
          Cmake and GPL3/LGPL3

I use Qmake and the BSD license.
          Buddy I took over development of eggwm, as the author abandoned it, I added in a compositor and css styling for the window decorations, not to mention
          fixed countless bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Those apps that are well done also have no issues getting packaged. I don't know what "ISV" stands for. About licensing regulations, they're there for a reason, I don't see why distributions would jump at the opportunity to create a workaround for them. And usually those regulations don't apply to user repositories, anyway. About bleeding-edge snapshots, I don't see any problems with the current system (scripts automatically pull git snapshots and build packages out of them ? at least that's how it works in Open Build Service, and the same principle works in Gentoo). So I'm still not convinced.
            If you can see the need for "user repositories", I don't see why you object to sandboxed applications which are essentially a more secure version of the same thing. What exactly is your complaint?

Comment

If your asking me if I hate GNU/GPL and most Linux Developers in general, you hit the nail on the head there friend

So go ahead and do your own little thing. But this drivel on the forums is a bit boring. You're great and awesome. Now go away, thanks. It seems you're forgetting what this is about kdbus, not to discuss your personal issues.

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
                the reason for kdbus is really just a random one because its tied to systemd and the author has influence. all his creations so far were highly criticized because none where the right thing to do, but he had the agenda and power to push them through.
                kdbus is not tied to systemd. It will also be useful for the system that Android uses. Forgot the name, but LWN reported on it. It'll result in less difference between an Android kernel and mainline.

Comment

If you wan't to view it as that ok.

I would more likely strip the Linux Kernel of all legacy drivers and features and only focus on modern/future tech first, then work with the BSD,s to replace the remaining GPL code in the Kernel by cherry picking current BSD kernels for common posix code found in all kernels. And poof the BSD now have a new kernel with all the hardware support and features with half the work. Lol if only it was that easy. The Linux Kernel is there because it has the best support,drivers,features. The BSD kernels are seriously lacking.

I thought I was paranoid!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                    So go ahead and do your own little thing. But this drivel on the forums is a bit boring. You're great and awesome. Now go away, thanks. It seems you're forgetting what this is about kdbus, not to discuss your personal issues.
                    I suggest you advocate to Micheal for censorship, because as it stands I can highjack any topic and make it about whatever I feel like talking about whenever I want.
                    And in the process I can just tell you to go fuck your self.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                      kdbus is not tied to systemd. It will also be useful for the system that Android uses. Forgot the name, but LWN reported on it. It'll result in less difference between an Android kernel and mainline.
                      Neather kdbus or systemd is relevant or useful to Android. Without dalvik working on your a typical Linux Desktop everything else is pointless. I have a better chance of getting code adopted by google.

Comment

Working...
                      X