KDBUS & Systemd Now Yields A Working System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Actually, I think you are wrong about the 'modify' part. Everything else sounds correct, but because of free speech, you are free to modify the source code, as long as the license allows you, regardless of patents. However, as long as you are using the patented algorithm, it is illegal for you to use such modifications. But again, being able to modify means that, if you have an alternative algorithm, you can fix the patent problem by avoiding it altogether. That's actually what Carmack did with Doom 3, he had to write an alternative ray casting IIRC, because the one used in Doom 3 was patented by someone else (he got away with the commercial version alledging parallel development, I think, or maybe he paid for a license).
    I "think" a good demonstration is xaml, It is available under Microsoft's Open Specification Promise. As long as you don't deviate from the specification that is. I get the impression that brosis thinks the Apache and GPL3 licenses are magical and protect you from legal recourse on any and all IP violations. They don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by erendorn View Post
      I'm impressed you guys managed to bring this discussion to 220 posts already!
      I tend to have that effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by zester View Post
        Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!
        Not the case. Lots of noise from you, no signal.

Comment

Here is a character i did, and a AAA character texture painting tutorial I did for blender. [/IMG]
          Doing stuff doesn't make an argument suddenly more valid. Though if you complain about a high profile kernel hacker and suggest Slashdot is right?

Comment

• I listed some Librarys (VFX Related) BSD licensed that were released by Disney, Sony, Nvidia, ... or people working for those company's. And someone said(Note: There on my ignore list so quoting them is going to be a pain in the ass to find.) That they don't like ... because of DRM in there movies, and blah blah blah.

Well for whoever said it your blanketing an entire company and the people who work there because of something one division of that company does.

And brosis if you hate the BSD license so much then you might want to find another operating system to use because, a large part of the Linux kernel contains code License under BSD, close to half. Even thou the kernel is on a whole GPL2. But for you it sounds like the "one drop" rule might apply, so I would find a new OS to use.
            GNU Hurd maybe?

Comment

• Originally posted by bkor View Post
              Doing stuff doesn't make an argument suddenly more valid. Though if you complain about a high profile kernel hacker and suggest Slashdot is right?
              You appear to be a very unhappy person.

Comment

• Originally posted by bkor View Post
                Not the case. Lots of noise from you, no signal.
                Thats all you have, I just woke-up and got my coffee. I feel feisty. Soooo when your hammering out your response
                do you spray spittle on your monitor?

Comment

I "think" a good demonstration is xaml, It is available under Microsoft's Open Specification Promise. As long as you don't deviate from the specification that is. I get the impression that brosis thinks the Apache and GPL3 licenses are magical and protect you from legal recourse on any and all IP violations. They don't.
                  I don't think he believes that. Still, it reduces the attack surface, as all distributors, at least in some countries, where it is valid, agreed to grant a license of all of their relevant patents to all users of that code base. This means that you could only get sued if you either live in a country that you can not legally put that clause in the contract or by non-distributors/non-contributors. Compare that to everywhere and by anyone who owns a patent with GPL2 or BSD, and it is an improvement (at least, for you as a user). Of course, it is not an improvement but the opposite in your way of seeing things, as those ARE restrictions to use the code, and your ethics oblige you to impose as few as possible.
                  I don't understand the example, I'm not informed in that area, could you explain further?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                    I don't understand the example, I'm not informed in that area, could you explain further?
                    I am sorry are you referring to XAML? or ...

Comment

I am sorry are you referring to XAML? or ...
                      Yes. I mean XAML. I don't understand what you are pointing out.

Comment

Working...
                      X